By anonymous - 02/11/2014 09:09 - United States - San Francisco

Today, my daughter admitted to me that the only reason she's nice to me is because I give her money. She's six. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 234
You deserved it 5 353

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't give her money for no reason. Put it into a college savings instead.

she's learning to manipulate you early. you already know you need to fix this.

Comments

I'm (very) late to comment here, but I figure I might as well get my two cents here too. I am a bit bothered by all the "ur a bad parent" vibe coming from so many people. In my opinion it's positive to teach kids the value of money and how important it is to earn what you have. I have a 7 year old. She gets small amounts of money as rewards, as well as the usual small treats like candy and toys, for good behaviour and chores. It's like any other way of rewarding kids and it really makes her happy. She can understand just how much that toy she wants costs and decide between the expensive toy or multiple cheap ones. Or she can learn to save the money and be patient, so she can get the expensive one she wants. She is happy to buy some of her own toys and other little things herself and really takes better care of her things if she paid for them. Of course we don't make her pay for everything, but she even prefers to pitch in with some of her own money, even if only 1cent. She also has a small allowance, for wich she looks forward every time, and always spends with care. And also, she learns about money in school, and how to handle it. Having a little bit to handle makes her happy and helps with homework too! :) Also makes playing a lot more fun when you can make change and set prices and make Mommy go broke to pay for the cardboard pizza and plastic cupcakes. When money is tight, we don't have to try to find ways to help her understand why she can't have some things. These days kids seem to have more and more, and demand more and more and we just can't give then everything. Sure not all are the same, but I think they all should know the value of money and that you have to "work" to get it. Anyway, my point is that it's not a bad thing for children to handle a bit of money, it teaches them valuable lessons. On another note, the OP's daughter saying that she is only nice to her because she (OP) gives her money, really doesn't scream "Bad Parenting" or "Manipulating, Greedy, Bad Child' to me. It might just really be the case that she's simply stating what's obvious to her: Beeing nice is beeing good. Beeing good gets you rewards. If she is nice, she gets rewarded. So that is why she is nice to Mommy, because Mommy sometimes gives her some money and money is super cool, because you can go to the store and buy stuff just like Mommy! :) Every kid is unique and sadly there really are bad parents out there, but we can't just assume that everytime a kid does or says something like this (or worse, since the little rascals really can say and do the craziest things) it's bad parenting or a wicked little devil-child! Your kids learn from you, true! But that doesn't mean they can't think for themselves and act on their own! And, most of the time, they just have no filter whatsoever or took some cues for someone else, other than the parents. To me, this story is just funny and kind of cute. Just another of those things kids say, and most likely just a simple, honest and logical statement to her. I didn't think the girl is a greedy and manipulative 6 year old or that the mother is buying her love, spoiling her rotten or being a bad parent in any way. As it IS an FML, I guess the mother either found it funny or really was thrown off by this so my reasoning goes towards a FYL, meaning " lol! kids! watcha gonna do?" as opposed to a YDI "you-bad-mom-you!" Aaaand yeah, I think I'm done now! Hope I made some sense. Apologies for any misspelled words or typos. They are all my fault for letting my English get rusty.

Giving the child money for being nice is NOT teaching them anything positive about the value of money. It is the absolute WRONG lesson to teach them.