By VeganVampyre - 23/05/2015 17:07 - Canada - Clarenville

Today, my cat has decided she can't eat unless I'm right there with her, so when she gets hungry she finds me and howls until I follow her to her food dish. She likes to eat pretty frequently, and I'm already getting a headache. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 241
You deserved it 3 923

VeganVampyre tells us more.

Hey everyone, OP here :) Just to clear a few things up, she is a street kitten that I just rescued about a week ago, and she had been attacked and beaten up by other cats quite a few times when she was out on the streets, so I'm thinking this lovely new behaviour is either a) she feels safer having me "protect" her while she eats, or b) she's just realized it's really nice to have company nearby and she's taking advantage since she was always alone before. I'm sure she will grow out of it as she gets more comfortable and used to being here :) To the people saying I should control her food better- I feed her twice a day, but she prefers to graze rather finish it all at once. And since this is the healthier eating habit, I will not force her to change to a less healthy eating habit. To the people telling me to ignore her- can't do it. I'm so thrilled that she actually trusts me, and I feel so bad that she was on her own for so long that I can't bring myself to ignore her for any reason just yet. To all the other YDI comments- I rescued a gorgeous, friendly little kitty from a probably short and horrible life on the streets, being attacked by other cats, and in return I got a lovely cuddly companion. Do I deserve that? Absolutely. :)

Top comments

That's actually pretty ******* adorable.

Do you own th the pet? Or is the pet owning you?

Comments

That's actually pretty ******* adorable.

lalundsten 16

Your picture makes your comment better! Haha! But I think the constant meowing would get annoying pretty fast.

Do you own th the pet? Or is the pet owning you?

It's a cat. The laws of cat ownership are that you are owned by the cat, who will train you to do their bidding at their leisure.

Take the bowl with you. So she will follow you to your room.

no she will maul him to death. cats...

I want to say YDI. Don't indulge your cat in behavior that you don't like. Or if you will , don't feed her more than twice a day.

Do you have a cat? Lots of cars graze throughout the day. Doesn't mean that OP is repeatedly filling the cat's bowl.

Thank you, #26 :) I do only feed her twice a day, but she doesn't eat it all at once. Nothing I can really do about that. Besides, it's healthier to graze and eat small amounts throughout the day so I'm certainly not going to encourage her to adopt a less healthy eating style!

I have 4 cats and leave a bowl out all day for them. they're all a healthy weight and nit fat at all. because they control how much they eat, unlike dogs. they won't eat until th

they explode. they eat until they're full. my cats don't weigh more than 10lbs and my lightest is 3lbs. (tried to edit but my stupid phone wouldn't open the keyboard and by the time it popped up, the edit time frame ran out)

I would get rid of that cat. Cats are suppose to be low maintenance.

what an asshole, how about your mom get rid of you when you were a kid because she felt like it. sound fair? dont EVER have animals please. its people like you why there are so many animals im shelters

People like him are probably why this kitty ended up on my doorstep starving to death in the first place :/ I'm with you, 44, people like that should never have pets.

OP, my cat did the same thing when her first symptoms of lung cancer appeared. If your cat was a rescue cat, it's possible there could be an underlying problem. Watch the rest of it's behaviour, if anything else changes you'll need to take it to a vet.

102, I have taken her to the vet, and aside from being underweight she's perfectly healthy :)

Next time she wants to eat, lock yourself in your room and let the cat figure out that it needs to eat by itself.

You're going to have to invest in some sort of cardboard cut of you to be permanently by the food bowl

That's probably the best idea I've heard! Thank you! Lol

Make it eat by itself. It needs to learn to.

SHE is a female, not an inanimate object. And she can and does eat by herself if she has to, she just prefers me to come with her if I'm nearby.

Ramos808 29

You have to get your cat to eat by herself, or else this will become a permanent habit! You shouldn't listen to your cat, and she will eventually eat without your presence

And wear headphones so she can't wear down your resolve.