By VeganVampyre - 23/05/2015 17:07 - Canada - Clarenville

Today, my cat has decided she can't eat unless I'm right there with her, so when she gets hungry she finds me and howls until I follow her to her food dish. She likes to eat pretty frequently, and I'm already getting a headache. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 241
You deserved it 3 923

VeganVampyre tells us more.

Hey everyone, OP here :) Just to clear a few things up, she is a street kitten that I just rescued about a week ago, and she had been attacked and beaten up by other cats quite a few times when she was out on the streets, so I'm thinking this lovely new behaviour is either a) she feels safer having me "protect" her while she eats, or b) she's just realized it's really nice to have company nearby and she's taking advantage since she was always alone before. I'm sure she will grow out of it as she gets more comfortable and used to being here :) To the people saying I should control her food better- I feed her twice a day, but she prefers to graze rather finish it all at once. And since this is the healthier eating habit, I will not force her to change to a less healthy eating habit. To the people telling me to ignore her- can't do it. I'm so thrilled that she actually trusts me, and I feel so bad that she was on her own for so long that I can't bring myself to ignore her for any reason just yet. To all the other YDI comments- I rescued a gorgeous, friendly little kitty from a probably short and horrible life on the streets, being attacked by other cats, and in return I got a lovely cuddly companion. Do I deserve that? Absolutely. :)

Top comments

That's actually pretty ******* adorable.

Do you own th the pet? Or is the pet owning you?

Comments

I had to create an account to say how wonderful you are. I've rescued several cats myself and find that to be pretty common behavior. I think they like to know that someone is watching their back while they eat as that's one of the times they were most vulnerable while living in the streets. I found keeping myself busy while "watching them" with a book or playing on my phone and slowly moving away a little more each time helped break the habit! The meowing is better than them gorging themselves!

Tell her no. Or take her to the vet. Maybe there is something wrong. Maybe she needs some good quality time with you. Take a good half hour and pet her and talk to her.

Just shut her out and get some Beats by Dre

dposspan 11

My cat used to do something similar. Lock her in a room alone with the food, and she'll eventually give in and eat.

Put her on a feeding schedule. Or make her accustom to eat when you eat. Either way she shouldn't be eating so frequently, she either needs a better nutritional diet that her body is lacking which makes her wants to eat. Or she's eating cause she's bored and needs a more active lifestyle

She is a street cat that I found half starved to death. So yes, she is probably lacking quite a few necessary nutrients. I am working on fixing that by feeding her the highest quality food I can get my hands on. She is plenty active and does not need to be on a set feeding schedule. But thank you for judging my ability to properly care for my pets.

conman531 23

She probably needs you to get her a brother or sister

She doesn't like other cats... Being repeatedly beaten up by them probably does tend to have that effect.

Why don't you just move his bowl to somewhere more convenient?

take the bowl with you or buy more bowls to fill up in rooms you are in frequently.

is she not a fan of where her food dish is? cats are oober picky. try another location for the dish?

TallMist 32

Bite you? Shouldn't we wait until after the first date? ;)

*Über It's a German word, and the Umlaut is important :)