By soontobemurder - 03/05/2017 18:00

Today, my boss took back my week off because he wants to take a spontaneous Caribbean vacation with his wife, which is "clearly more important" than what I was going to do. I needed that time off so I could be with my Dad in hospice. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 783
You deserved it 254

Same thing different taste

Top comments

No. I would have flat out refused. Let your boss explain to HR (and any labor board) why his spontaneous vacation to the Caribbean was more important than approved medical leave. File a grievance. Immediately. And then take your pre-approved time off. Your boss can ******* suck it.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Report your boss to the HR, although that may be unnecessary as, according to your username, he will be dead

Comments

That's low :( well if anything use your sick days, dad is more important

melana09 19

If you have written approval then its against the law. I'd fight for it.

People always jump to reporting someone to HR. There are a LOT of work situations where there is no HR and the boss is often the owner as well.

mariri9206 32

Then it can be reported to the department of labor or some other government employment department.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Go to hospice. Explain it if you must but go to hospice. Trust me you won't care about that job in 10 years. But not going to hospice will haunt you for a lifetime.

onceuponatime456 16

Tell your boss he is an asshole and needs a new employee!

You have to be a pretty shitty person to do that to someone. Legal or not, that's ethically and morally wrong.

You could always go public with what your boss did if there isn't an HR department or said department is full of burnouts. Make posts about it everywhere like twitter, tumblr, facebook- anywhere on social media. Be as accurate as possible about the matter. I also suggest looking for a new job, and then you can give your resignation to stay with your dad at hospice. Or, if any of the work you do it digital, ask if you can do it at the hospice.

I really do hope that you refused.