By ruttles - 28/04/2017 17:47

Today, like every day, I made myself some coffee with my Keurig, but today I discovered a lot of mold growing inside it. I guess that explains why I've been so sick and feel like my lungs have been on fire the last few weeks. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 878
You deserved it 2 009

ruttles tells us more.

Op here I actually don't buy the kcups I buy regular coffee and a pod with a washable filter...both cheaper and environmentally friendly. And the keurig was given to me so never actually bought the machine and I never read up on the maintenance instructions like I should've, which I acknowledge is my fault. But I put milk and sugar in my coffee so it never actually tasted bad to me. And the whole machine is black so I couldn't see the mold growing in it. But we've since took the keurig apart (literally) and thoroughly washed and sanitized it and we installed a water filter on it.

Add a comment

You must be logged in to be able to post comments!

Top comments

For your next coffee machine, may I suggest a filter and a filter holder? No, seriously. It takes as much time to prepare coffee with this than with a Keurig, it's cheaper than a Keurig, the coffee tastes better, there are much more varieties than with a Keurig, it's waaaay easier to wash (it goes entirely in the dishwasher) and the environment will be so happy it will give you a big smooch of health.

Op here, I don't buy kcups I buy regular coffee and a reusable/washable pod and filter.

Comments

For your next coffee machine, may I suggest a filter and a filter holder? No, seriously. It takes as much time to prepare coffee with this than with a Keurig, it's cheaper than a Keurig, the coffee tastes better, there are much more varieties than with a Keurig, it's waaaay easier to wash (it goes entirely in the dishwasher) and the environment will be so happy it will give you a big smooch of health.

Op here I actually don't buy the kcups I buy regular coffee and a pod with a washable filter...both cheaper and environmentally friendly. And the keurig was given to me so never actually bought the machine and I never read up on the maintenance instructions like I should've, which I acknowledge is my fault. But I put milk and sugar in my coffee so it never actually tasted bad to me. And the whole machine is black so I couldn't see the mold growing in it. But we've since took the keurig apart (literally) and thoroughly washed and sanitized it and we installed a water filter on it.

Nothing like a fresh cup of mold coffee to wake you up. Now in Black mold flavor! :D

Now you know how the environment feels being suffocated with non-recyclable plastic and foil cups.

Op here, I don't buy kcups I buy regular coffee and a reusable/washable pod and filter.

The exact same reason why I got rid of my Keurig, afraid of a mold infestation. And cleaning it with vinegar does not work. Your coffee tastes like Summers Eve for weeks

Just run it through about 5 cycles of just water after you clean it. Worked for me

I recommend cleaning it with vinegar every week or two to help prevent mold build up

Damn never considered the mold, gonna throw mine out if I find any!!

You have to wash out the water reservoir at least twice a week...and let it air dry. It get's nasty if left unwashed. Also, use distilled water to prevent unhealthy bacteria. It won't hurt you! Good luck!

Unlikely, the heat from the water would likely kill anything that could make you sick. But it's still gross. Get a Chemex and you'll see everything. And it's cheaper and better.

yep Keurigs are a health hazard. A more traditional coffee maker or a French press makes more sense.

Seriously Keurig makes coffee maker cleaner, specially formulated to run through the machine via the water tank..... you can purchase on their web site and Kohls.