By ruttles - 28/04/2017 17:47

Today, like every day, I made myself some coffee with my Keurig, but today I discovered a lot of mold growing inside it. I guess that explains why I've been so sick and feel like my lungs have been on fire the last few weeks. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 898
You deserved it 2 020

ruttles tells us more.

Op here I actually don't buy the kcups I buy regular coffee and a pod with a washable filter...both cheaper and environmentally friendly. And the keurig was given to me so never actually bought the machine and I never read up on the maintenance instructions like I should've, which I acknowledge is my fault. But I put milk and sugar in my coffee so it never actually tasted bad to me. And the whole machine is black so I couldn't see the mold growing in it. But we've since took the keurig apart (literally) and thoroughly washed and sanitized it and we installed a water filter on it.

Top comments

For your next coffee machine, may I suggest a filter and a filter holder? No, seriously. It takes as much time to prepare coffee with this than with a Keurig, it's cheaper than a Keurig, the coffee tastes better, there are much more varieties than with a Keurig, it's waaaay easier to wash (it goes entirely in the dishwasher) and the environment will be so happy it will give you a big smooch of health.

Op here, I don't buy kcups I buy regular coffee and a reusable/washable pod and filter.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Every 2 weeks I run my coffee maker through a vinegar clean cycle and then a water cycle immediately afterward and my coffee is always fantastic. And if you don't want to waste vinegar, toss some baking soda down your drain and use the hot vinegar to clean your drains too, I never have a problem with clogs either.

I strongly recommend going to a doctor for a check up. Mould can be pretty dangerous and that you mentioned those symptoms suggests it might be worth going. I think anyone who invested mould should go to the doctor just go get checked over.

Op here, I did go to the doctor the next day actually. And they ran some tests and gave me some antibiotics. I get the results next week. But concluded I had an upper respiratory infection.

wow thanks for the reply! I'm glad you are ok although the infection sounds horrible. look after yourself

LiLMAMA0523 35

I feel your pain. I spent two days feeling like death after using mine. I hope you feel better soon!

Your reply had me until "environmentally friendly".

PSA: Keurigs are known to do this to everyone! Because they're such a closed system, sure they're convenient, but it helps the mold grow faster so you gotta clean these things entirely too often or risk getting very sick.

lmperious 3

Chances are that isn't why. Most molds are 99% safe to ingest, and are usually destroyed instantly upon contact with stomach acid.

But in such a warm, moist place, it is probably black mold( mould? I never know which one to use). It's been almost 5 years since I left my black mold infested house and I still have a compromised immune system and have to be on inhalers. And if you aren't sure of what kind of mold you were exposed to it is always better to take the safe route and go to the doc.

This FML just made me clean my keurig extra thorough today. Yuck! I hope you feel better soon, OP.

tease_ftx 8

that is something people have known about forever. there is no way to properly clean the machine to sanitary and safe standards.