By stupidpplsuck - 15/09/2016 08:41 - United States - Seaside

Today, it's my birthday. The only gift I got was a book on the history of cancers. Not the illness, the zodiac sign. I'm a Virgo. I don't even like astrology. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 767
You deserved it 1 038

stupidpplsuck tells us more.

op here i wouldn't have cared about not getting a gift at all, especially since money is a little tight right now. But the fact that there was a gift and it was something that doesn't really pertain to me or my interests is was got me a little down. I'm still gonna read it and I appreciate the thought, but I would have preferred just a card or something.

Top comments

And there you were, getting your hopes up about the prospect of reading a book documenting the history of an insidious disease, complete with pictures and early accounts from grieving folk who had lost loved ones. My condolences, OP. Wait…

Good for you? People who have grown up to expect birthday presents can turn out alright too y'know.

Comments

I don't think anyone would be that interested in the history of virgins.

njaminami0 7

That sucks OP, but it's your birthday and don't let stupid people bring you down. Treat yourself to something nice! Happy birthday!

I'm jealous. I got a birthday card from my dad with a note saying, in short, he doesn't like my job he doesn't like my plan to get an apartment and I will crash and burn. Happy birthday to the both of us...

I'll take hastily bought gas station gifts for 5, alex

i just dont get this raising your kids to expect others to give them something, be it birthday, wedding, christmas. call me what you will but i raised my kids to celebrate the day's but do not expect gifts just for being alive. they all are grown and well adjusted adults

Good for you? People who have grown up to expect birthday presents can turn out alright too y'know.

So you want to steal the happiness from people's lives? It's not about expecting a gift, it's just considered polite to show people that you care on one of the few days they get to feel special. The point of the gift is to say you were thinking of them and appreciate them existing. Essentially calling people selfish for enjoying things shows you don't understand the concept of manners or caring about anyone but yourself.

op here i wouldn't have cared about not getting a gift at all, especially since money is a little tight right now. But the fact that there was a gift and it was something that doesn't really pertain to me or my interests is was got me a little down. I'm still gonna read it and I appreciate the thought, but I would have preferred just a card or something.

Oh noo. :( I'm sorry OP! Happy Birthday! Wish I could get you somethin'.

Even if you did like astrology, it's still dumb, as the dates of each sign are typically on the book covers.

cootiequeen4444 11

unless they gave the cancer book to OP knowing it was the wrong sign on purpose. *eyes gift giver suspiciously*

Yesterday was my birthday and I got a pissy dad and people telling me to "deal with it" when I asked them to stop singing to me because it's annoying and makes me feel uncomfortable

So people were being nice to you on your birthday so you responded by being a bitch to them?? People acknowledged your birthday, at least be grateful for that. People singing to you on your birthday is nothing compared to being almost completely forgotten about.