By academicloser - 22/02/2011 17:19 - United States

Today, in an attempt to get some guidance from my college advisor, I emailed her, saying I was contemplating going to another school because I felt so helpless about my GPA, and was sure I wouldn't get my major. I asked for advice on raising it. She gave me instructions on how to drop out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 354
You deserved it 7 400

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't listen to her, and don't scream and Yale. Be as strong as an Ox,ford the stream, but don't go jumping off a Cambridge. You can be as rich as a a Duke or as famous as a Princeton, but getting good grades isn't that Harvard. Just study hard and eat a good meal, something like Brown Rice with Cornell.

Maybe you should have been more direct. If you said you wanted to go to another school then thats probably what she took it as. If you just wanted more advice then just say that you need some advice.

Comments

Maybe you should have been more direct. If you said you wanted to go to another school then thats probably what she took it as. If you just wanted more advice then just say that you need some advice.

Couldn't agree more, don't throw a curve ball at the advisors, this is not high school, if you have concerns, get straight to it, they don't have time for this guessing game. Besides, you are an adult that is capable of making your own decisions, if you told the advisor you want to transfer, he/she will respect that. Ydi

grog_fml 3

instructions for raising your gpa: 1. show up to class 2. study instead of partying all the time 3. do your work 4. don't be a dumbass ydi...

rallets 22

how do you know she did ANY of that?

well if they didn't do any of that and are still failing, school isn't for them. sometimes tough love is the best.

justanotherbird 19

Can't you just retake the class(es) you messed up in to raise your GPA? I was pretty sure that most colleges take your highest grade in a class you too multiple times, at least when it comes to the grades that apply to the GPA for your degree.

That could be some shitty advice, but here's the truth: College is for people who actually want to learn and get their education. It's not for slackers, and it's not for whiney, bratty high school grads who just go to college so that they can party without worrying about mommy and daddy knowing about it. You've learned this thus far, obviously. This is real life: now you have to start all over again from scratch. Re-take all of your classes, study, and get the grades so that you can actually prosper instead of being another waste in society. :)

Gabbymcbride 2

YDI for having a low GPA. It's not hard to try on your homework and turn it in. This is coming from a 8th grader. This is sad.

Homework in college isn't generally graded, it's more for just your own benefit of learning how to do the material first hand rather than being graded yourself.

and homework in collage is harder, this is coming from a ninth grader

QueenPersephone 9

I too agree that making homework collages is harder. This is coming from a college junior.

NurseNasty 12

I've never done a collage. This coming from a biochemistry major.

dtegrl 0

Seriously?!? It's c-o-l-l-E-g-e... This is coming from someone who knows how to SPELL.

rallets 22

homework is college isnt graded? phew, dodged a bullet there

QueenPersephone 9

57- Despite being an obviously distinguised speller, your sarcasm detector is missing a few bolts. Or maybe it's the operator that's missing a few. I'm a biology major myself, never made a collage in college either. Couldn't help myself though...

Well, while daily homework assignments might not be graded, things like term papers, tests, and quizzes are. Also, most of the time, it might be a LOT of work, but unless you're majoring in something like biochemistry (Hi BioChem Majors!) or calculus, it's not really DIFFICULT work. It's not hard to do research, and it's not hard to type up a paper. It might be time-consuming, yes, but difficult? It's not. The 8th grader has a point. It's not hard to be a student; it may not be just about homework, but the concept of studying and completing assignments to make a good grade is not hard. PS: This is coming from an English major. =)

73, obviously you don't know anything about other majors

They didn't ask for a free grade, they asked advice on which school would be the best option for them given their current GPA. besides, even if they have screwed up thus far in HS, that doesn't mean they can't turn it around. I know people who were kicked out of HS as kids yet ended up with a 4.0 in college and a doctorate. The fact that they are looking for good college options instead of giving up is commendable.

EvilDave 13

"She didn't ask for a free grade, she asked advice on which school would be the best option for her given her current GPA. besides, even if she has screwed up thus far in HS, that doesn't mean she can't turn it around. " Go back to elementary school and learn to use pronouns properly.

To be honest, I didn't know that "they" wasn't an appropriate pronoun for third person, singular, of unknown gender until a couple months ago, and I'm in grade 12. I don't know very many people who -do- know this. Times are changing and "they" is becoming more acceptable.

So what pronoun are you supposed to use when referring to a single person of an unknown gender? I have tried looking it up online and so far the only real advice I've found is to write sentences like "He or she did it".

"He or she" would be correct, it just sounds messy, so I'm -pretty- sure you can just say "he." I assume people started replacing that with "they" because of the whole gender equality thing.

That and it probably takes forever if you have to have some kind of serious discussion about what the "he or she" did. Anyway, Thank you for the help.

Well, in this instance, we know that the OP is a girl, thus we know the proper pronoun to use, but, if the gender is unknown, this is what you say: He or she, as well as him or her. That/this person. (This person simply asked for advice or That person simply asked for advice.) To keep from being repetitive, though, I usually just stick to one gender - he. Some people won't do that because they think it's sexist, but it doesn't really matter.

Its not her fault your future career results came back with beggar as #1

Your advisor is crap. I thought they were meant to try keeping the kids IN school?

first of all, don't drop out second of all, find a better counselor