By SSeizeTheDay - 03/05/2013 20:52 - United States - Medford

Today, I was berated by a pharmacist, who said that kids these days are on so many unnecessary medications for "fake diseases". I was just trying to pick up the medication I've been prescribed to control my epilepsy. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 878
You deserved it 2 949

SSeizeTheDay tells us more.

SSeizeTheDay 9

In retrospect it probably was the pharmacy tech who made the comment, I'm never sure who's who behind the counter. Regardless, I'll be calling the store in the morning to report them and figure out if I need to do anything else to get their ass fired. Also, just for the record epilepsy is far from a "mild ailment". I consider myself lucky that I've come away from most of my seizures scoff free. But even so, I've broken three ribs, had a concussion, and incurred facial scarring from falling when I seize. Not to mention that my short term memory is shot to hell and with every seizure I have I run the risk of further cognitive decline. But yeah, the medicine is definitely unnecessary. Right.

Top comments

whathefuckislife 11

your username is the best pun ever.

That is ridiculously unprofessional and degrading to you. I'm normally against all of the "sue him/her"-type comments, but perhaps a formal complaint is warranted here.

Comments

What a jackass. He should be fired for that. I hope you reported him to the manager.

"Um, that's cool, can I have my pills now?" If they say no, ask to speak to a supervisor and watch them make the pharmacist hand it to you with a smile.

This happened to me, I have epilepsy too.

I feel ya, I have seizures that are caused by anxiety attacks and I'm also on ADHD meds and I get nasty comments like "druggie" "pill head" "faker" my ex boyfriends mother thought I was immature because I had a severe anxiety attack which resulted in a seizure -.- people think they're experts when they don't know shit

"Kids these days..." It is not the patient's responsibility for what medication they have been prescribed; it's the doctor's. The misdiagnosis for ADD/ADHD is not the fault of the person who may/may not actually have these diseases. For ADD, if someone on Ritalin seems calm and focused, then they DO have it. For those not afflicted, it acts like speed. Twitching, scratching, and an increased inability to pay attention to anything. But again, it's not the pharmacist's job to determine whether or not you need these meds. Similar problems occur with law enforcement and medical marijuana. For every person with an actual condition needing treatment, there are easily four or five who walk into the office, say they hurt all the time and claim they have fibromyalgia. The fact there is no cure for the actual condition and pain management (with less addictive substances) can be achieved with marijuana makes it an ideal "fake." Is it the fault of the dispensary you get your medication from? Is it a cop's job to determine whether you need it or not? No in both cases. As with other pharmaceuticals, it's the doctor prescribing it who has the responsibility to find out if the patient needs that treatment or not. I feel for you OP. Sorry you got splashed for sloppy doctoring. You have an actual, serious, debilitating condition that your doctor has prescribed meds for. It's not anyone else's job to judge that.