By SSeizeTheDay - 03/05/2013 20:52 - United States - Medford

Today, I was berated by a pharmacist, who said that kids these days are on so many unnecessary medications for "fake diseases". I was just trying to pick up the medication I've been prescribed to control my epilepsy. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 878
You deserved it 2 949

SSeizeTheDay tells us more.

SSeizeTheDay 9

In retrospect it probably was the pharmacy tech who made the comment, I'm never sure who's who behind the counter. Regardless, I'll be calling the store in the morning to report them and figure out if I need to do anything else to get their ass fired. Also, just for the record epilepsy is far from a "mild ailment". I consider myself lucky that I've come away from most of my seizures scoff free. But even so, I've broken three ribs, had a concussion, and incurred facial scarring from falling when I seize. Not to mention that my short term memory is shot to hell and with every seizure I have I run the risk of further cognitive decline. But yeah, the medicine is definitely unnecessary. Right.

Top comments

whathefuckislife 11

your username is the best pun ever.

That is ridiculously unprofessional and degrading to you. I'm normally against all of the "sue him/her"-type comments, but perhaps a formal complaint is warranted here.

Comments

I would of told that pharmacist "okay so I'm not picking up my medication. But when I have an epilepsy episode and it makes me get hospitalized.. I'm coming after you with a lawsuit" and I would of asked for her manager and made a big complaint causing a scene so that way the manager would feel sorry for me and go fire that BITCH excuse my French!

FlowerMama 20

Enough with the lawsuits! Whatever happened to personal responsibility?! People always seem to be looking for someone else to blame - and get money from. It's ridiculous. Save lawsuits for SERIOUS issues, like true medical malpractice or purposely dispensing the wrong medication with the intent to cause harm. If OP were to CHOOSE not to fill the prescription, there is NO basis for a lawsuit, because the pharmacist/tech did nothing unlawful, did not withhold the medication, and is guilty only of poor judgment.

Don't feel bad op I've got the same and it's happen to me!

There is a type of seizure medication that for some odd reason treats Fibromyalgia Syndrome. A disease abused by hypochondriacs, so some automatically believe you're a faker, or that it's fake all together. This DOES NOT excuse the unprofessional behavior.

So sorry OP. I have epilepsy too so I know how difficult it is to live with especially when people don't understand it. Haven't lived until your peers see you having one and think that you're possessed by a demon. FYL

Orhugs 11

Lolz SOOOO been there. They play games to see how "with it" I am

As someone who will be graduating next year as a pharmacist, this is so upsetting to hear. You should report it to your state board of pharmacy. On the other hand, if you were being a rude customer (ringing the driving thru a million times, talking on your phone while picking up, making unreasonable demands or getting upset/blaming the pharm for insurance issues), then maybe you should reconsider how you treat medical professionals who want whats in your best interest as a patient!

SSeizeTheDay 9

Honestly I think the only possible lecture that could be justified by being a disrespectful customer would be a lecture about not being a complete douche burger. I literally walked up to the counter, said "Hi, I'm here to pick up a prescription for [name]" and as the person was retrieving my prescription I was hit with a tirade about how kids these days are on too many unnecessary medications. I ended up filing a formal complaint, and will be taking my business elsewhere.

#155, even if the comment wasn't directly to the OP, i think it's still inappropriate for a pharmacist to randomly say something like that. as a customer i'd feel awkward if a pharmacist said something like that while i was picking up my medicine.

At least it was only the pharmacist... I had a doctor at a clinic walk out of the exam room on me because I was some "druggy looking for a fix"... all because I've developed a tremor in my hands (which I will admit is a sign of withdrawal, but I wanted her to run tests not give me drugs). That was the last time I went to see a walk-in doctor... Sucks when professionals with your health literally in their hands are so very unprofessional!

wow that sucks op my mom had a pharmasist tell her she didn't need inseline because she's not that fat my mother has type two diabetes and her weight loss is because of it

Elfkid21 19

Except the pharmacist IS RIGHT!!! The majority of kids on shit for adhd are wrongly diagnosed. The majority of them DON'T need to be on all those drugs!! (there are real cases of adhd, my older brother had it as a child but my parents got him under control. ) the poor kid is daydreaming in class and the teacher automatically jumps straight to adhd and the patents swallow that bull shit and rush the kid to the drs to drug the up. IT'S ******* RIDICULOUS!!

FlowerMama 20

The pharmacist was correct in his observation... not so much in his delivery.

A disease with no history. Disregard Julius Caesar's health record.