By Grounded - 17/11/2009 03:47 - Australia

Today, I started my first day as a security guard. After spending three years and $30,000 to become a commercial pilot, only to be told on my yearly medical that I suddenly have type 1 diabetes, and will never fly again. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 187
You deserved it 2 217

Yaphukwit tells us more.

Yaphukwit 0

Op here, Definatly not a fake, as other posters have said, Type 1 is not exclusive to juveniles. I am 24. I had the symptoms for a few weeks (thirst, tiredness, etc.) but was only diagnosed when i went for my comm pilots medical and they detected it there. And instead of college i chose flight training. So as much as i would love to move to the states, finding a job and someone to sponsor me would be difficult.

Top comments

proflover 0

why cant you fly with diabetes?

caamm 0

this is a true fml. sorry to hear that mate.

Comments

All you ****** jag-offs that decided that he deserved it, **** YOU!!!! IN THE ASS WITH SOMETHING HARD AND SANDPAPERY. $30,000 is a shitload of money to spend, and 3 years is a lot of time to spend, I feel bad for you man. I couldn't imagine what it's like to unwillingly be forced to give up on your dreams. I'm sure you'll find something else.

A lot of international carriers will take you if you don't mind moving! Don't give up hope!

oh man that really sucks for some reason i feel all warm and fuzzy after reading ur story

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck nonetheless.

Rokstarr 0

reminds me of little miss sunshine

Sorry to hear! :( Hope it all works out.

At lease you got your medical. I've been battling the FAA since February to get mine. but that sucks, I feel sorry for you. :c

Ohhh, how horrid. I hope you find another career to give you joy.

happygoluckygirl 0

As a type 1 diabetic, you typically aren't allowed to operate public transit (buses, trains, planes, etc) because a lower or higher blood sugar impacts your ability to make proper decisions and since little things can change your blood sugar drastically, they don't want to take the risk. But on the plus side, you can't be in the military (unless you want to be, then I'm sorry). If you've ever had a low or high blood sugar, you understand how loopey you get (basically a low blood sugar makes you appear and feel drunk).

Yeah when i grow up (im 16) i want to be a commercial pilot, and the training where I want to go cost 50000 but they make it mandatory that you get the exam before you start the training.