By Grounded - 17/11/2009 03:47 - Australia

Today, I started my first day as a security guard. After spending three years and $30,000 to become a commercial pilot, only to be told on my yearly medical that I suddenly have type 1 diabetes, and will never fly again. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 187
You deserved it 2 217

Yaphukwit tells us more.

Yaphukwit 0

Op here, Definatly not a fake, as other posters have said, Type 1 is not exclusive to juveniles. I am 24. I had the symptoms for a few weeks (thirst, tiredness, etc.) but was only diagnosed when i went for my comm pilots medical and they detected it there. And instead of college i chose flight training. So as much as i would love to move to the states, finding a job and someone to sponsor me would be difficult.

Top comments

proflover 0

why cant you fly with diabetes?

caamm 0

this is a true fml. sorry to hear that mate.

Comments

Everyone that said "but in the US I think it's okay!" is stupid. This is in Australia.

hotzstuff89 0

you can still fly if you have diabetes! i am a diabetic and fly all the time...all my doctors said it was totaly fine just a little harder to get through security then normal!

skullcandy11 7

You can fly with type 1 in America.

dutnehmer902 2

Look it's Paul Blart mall cop..lol

rtm13228 7

I wanted to join the marines since I was very little, but about 5 years ago, was diagnosed with T1D. It sucks, but you learn to live with it and learn how you can get around it. I can't join the marines now, but I am pursuing a career in aerospace engineering.

JordanDempsey 20

Do you mean type 2? You get type 1 genetically or fairly early in your childhood. Type 2 comes to those usually later in life

@114 diabetics bloodsugar goes low and high. Which can make you dizzy or even pass out. It's dangerous and can put lives at risk.

That sucks, try and find the positives though, like eating at work when everyone else isn't allowed ;)

You don't suddenly get type 1 diabeties.... At least I never heard of someone getting it all of a sudden. It's genetic and everyone I know ( including my cousin and aunt) developed it while very young. Now type 2 is a different story.