By Grounded - 17/11/2009 03:47 - Australia

Today, I started my first day as a security guard. After spending three years and $30,000 to become a commercial pilot, only to be told on my yearly medical that I suddenly have type 1 diabetes, and will never fly again. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 187
You deserved it 2 217

Yaphukwit tells us more.

Yaphukwit 0

Op here, Definatly not a fake, as other posters have said, Type 1 is not exclusive to juveniles. I am 24. I had the symptoms for a few weeks (thirst, tiredness, etc.) but was only diagnosed when i went for my comm pilots medical and they detected it there. And instead of college i chose flight training. So as much as i would love to move to the states, finding a job and someone to sponsor me would be difficult.

Top comments

proflover 0

why cant you fly with diabetes?

caamm 0

this is a true fml. sorry to hear that mate.

Comments

pinkkloverr 0

i've had juvenile/type 1 diabetes since i was 5 (sooo for 15 almost 16 years). when my dad was alive he got juvenile/type 1 diabetes when he was 5 (he had kidney failure and smoked. he died in his sleep when we were there when he was 44). then when i was around 12 my mom got type 2 diabetes. we still live like normal people... you're just going to have to pay attention a lot to how you're feeling and stuff and try your absolute hardest to remember to take your insulin if you need it!!! i've experienced everything with diabetes... it SUCKS!!! this wasn't a type of diabetes that i could've prevented. i've seen and experienced the results (how people act and stuff) from low blood sugars. 6 months ago in may (on mother's day), i was home alone for 4 hours in a diabetic coma! and i tried to take care of it. but it got so low so fast! just PLEASE be careful and watch out for highs and lows and remember the medication if you need it!!! good luck!!!! i wish you the best.

Yaphukwit 0

Op again. Thankyou for all your kind wishes and support, ive seen how some people react to other fmls and i was a bit nervous about submitting this one. Hopefully one day i will be able to get to America, i spent 3 months there previously and absoloutly loved it and its always been a dream to go back for good.

!!! suuuucky! buuuut ... look into a vegan diet; there have been many many studies linking a 14-week vegan diet to the annihilation of diabetes!

happygoluckygirl 0

Are you stupid? He's type 1. It doesn't go away. Maybe if you actually read something you'd realize that there are multiple type of diabetes and it can't be cured with fruits 'n veggies.

That's completely false. Type 1 Diabetes is incurable (at the moment). If medicine can't get rid of it I highly doubt a vegan diet can.

That sucks, though it's probably for the best considering how much money pilots make. (not a lot)

So I guess when you talk about joining the mile high club, you're referring to your glucose levels.

lsutiger013 0

@Unite_1004: You clearly don't know much about piloting: they make a very good amount of money considering they work far fewer hours than most full-timers. My uncle is in his mid-late 20's and owns a nice house and has a brand-new BMW, and he's only been a pilot for about six years. Mind you, this is in California, which has one of the highest cost-of-living rates in the United States.

i feel so bad for you omgoodness and i've decided i love you :P im half kidding PS

gawdihatelife 0

i'm so sorry, dude. idk what to say. i hope you can find another vocation where you'll be happy. Blue Skies..

emmxo815 0

I have type 1 too, after time it gets easier. Trust me, and maybe that's a sign, you were just meant for something else. I'm sure you'll be able to fly one day, until then good luck. (: