By Colormered - 12/01/2010 15:08 - France

Today, I spent all day organizing a list of electronic parts for my boss. I found the easiest way was to color problem parts in the spreadsheet red and okay parts green. After I finished at the end of the day, I found out my boss is red-green colorblind. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 388
You deserved it 3 575

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How about a column where you put "Good" or "Problem"? Then you can sort the spreadsheet by that column. And if you really want colors, you can sort the spreadsheet by good/problem and apply/change the colors in 2 seconds. Then you change back to the default sort.

Comments

haha one of my friends is colorblind, and he sees my brown hair as purple. FYL OP

blackllama 0

Sounds awesome, lol purple hair.

so just select all the red parts and change it to s different color and all the green parts to a different color too. not a bug deal

I agree with # 12. It's not that difficult to change a color in a spreadsheet.

Wow. thats funny. i know someone like that and when his wife is mad at him she mismatches his clothes or gets him new ones in pink or purple

suesblues 0

That's funny, Cynner. Evil, but funny.

I am red/green colorblind, and it kills me when people do this. Actually, I find shading or fonts are a better way to differentiate, as you can print it on a B/W printer and still see the differences.

yay to those of us who are colourblind! it drives me crazy when people choose to be ignorant to the fact that we might need things done differently!

yo #35 im red green colour blind myself. i make sure my colleagues know that. its nothing to be ashamed of :)

nah, what kills me is everyone asking me what color everything in sight is as soon as I tell them I'm colorblind.

Color the green over with blue or something durrr.

Quiet_one 22

FYL. And for the people who say the OP should have thought of this possibility ahead of time and used different colors, most people don't automatically assume others are colorblind. Yeah, colorblindness does happen a lot, but not often enough that people who aren't colorblind would think about it very much, if ever. Because we aren't colorblind and don't know many people who are (in 20 years I've known one colorblind person, and it's not the red-green type), it's just not something that occurs to us. I would probably have made the same mistake as the OP, because red and green are the first colors that I think of to differentiate things that are "good" and "bad."

Chuzza 2

Actually about 10% of men are colourblind, including myself. Most of them aren't aware of their colourblindness and I myself wasn't until 6 years ago when i took a test for fun. I can still tell reds and greens apart when theyre right next to each other however as can most red/greens, so I'm going to call fake.

My father is completely colorblind but can still tell the difference between colors - as long as they're "normal" colors. Blue, red, yellow, green, etc. Mixes like oranges and purples throw him off and I highly doubt your boss will be unable to differentiate. My dad can associate shades of gray with their corresponding colors. For everyone's benefit I have done a quick comparison of red and green. http://i47.tinypic.com/u2f6d.jpg The colors used are the standard red and green on my computer. No maroon or hunter green, etc. Just red and green. And now I have greyscaled that same image: http://i46.tinypic.com/fcibe1.jpg There is a noticeable difference. Now, I imagine your boss would have problems if you threw in other colors onto the chart, but since it is all red or green? You're fine. Not a FML.

boatkicker 4

Why did you bother coloring both? That seems like a lot of needless work. It would have been perfectly acceptable to color just the good, or just the bad ones. But still FYL, because you now have to do it over again.

dspadres 0

Must be exciting to drive with that guy.