By DEATHBYEX1LE - 04/03/2013 05:01 - Australia

Today, I sent my girlfriend a text saying, "Your the best girlfriend any man could have, and I think I may be in love with you." Ten minutes later, she responded with, "*you're". FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 392
You deserved it 48 360

DEATHBYEX1LE tells us more.

I know the difference, I just made a simple mistake....

Top comments

She's a grammar nazi. Doesn't mean she doesn't hold feelings for you. You neee to understand that bad grammar can be a turn off for some...

Good thing that she got her senses right, and that she corrected you is positive to show you that you can not do whatever you like :P And I am glad you are not rushing things and use words as "I may love you" But still a minor FYL moment though, since spelling can be hard at times. Or grammar

Comments

Merylwen 24

YDI. Any sweet thing is automatically ruined by this kind of stupidity. If most 7-year-olds don't make that mistake anymore, I can't see why you should.

I thought the exact same thing. Very first time I noticed when I read the FML.

Waddya mean? I didn't even onp2 there was difference till I was in fourth I think.

12- Because english is my second langauge, I have not yet mastered it.

Then in that case, you're doing fine. As a linguist/polyglot, I can say that I'd HATE to learn English as a second language.

beanthemouse 13

I know grammar is important, but sometimes I feel people should not be very serious about it. I do not get why one would go crazy over a lack of commer. I would have been flattered. Though, I think she was kidding :)

What the **** is commer? You've said that twice now,. Do you mean "grammar" or "comma" or both together? You're not Shakespear, woman. Stop making up words.

She also is not "Shakespear," my 9 year old nephew who posesses both razor sharp wit and linguistic creativity. He conjures words from his proverbial thinking cap like a magician conjuring rabbits from a top hat. Truly remarkable boy, that one. Also it's 3am and I'm reading these while trying to fall back to sleep. Cut a bitch some slack :)

beanthemouse 13

I did not know that spelling a word worng was counted for making them up..

What word were you spelling, honey? That was my question. Sorry if I was mean, I'm just curious :)

RedPillSucks 31

If she meant "comma", that's part of grammar. A misplaced comma can change the whole meaning of a sentence. Just ask ANY lawyer.

Elizabethans weren't as attached to "standardized" spelling as we are. Shakespeare's name was actually spelled as 54 had it a few times and also spelled as we typically see it during his lifetime. The more you know!

dontpanic_fml 32

But the word she is searching for is not even comma, it's apostrophe, and the incident in question doesn't even involve a lack of an apostrophe. It involves lack of an apostrophe and another letter which would form an entire new word, or more accurately, a contraction. In summary, beanthemouse: no.

#54: Absolutely right, but these days we do standardise spelling and Shakespeare's name is usually spelt with the 'e'. Maybe I'm being nitpicky...to me it just seems nicer that way.

She didn't go crazy, she just corrected him. No rant, no i hate you's just a simple correction. Btw OP didn't say she didn't send another messae responding to his actual message.

Wouldn't have thought a minor grammar mistake would have been worth commenting on myself, considering the nature of the message.

If she understood the meaning of what you were saying then it shouldn't matter. Is the point of language not to communicate? You got the point that you were making across, and she evidently didn't appreciate it judging by her response, or she just thought it would be funny.

the reason why grammer is important is exactly because language is used to communicate. Your and you're mean two completly different things.

beanthemouse 13

All I mean is that people should not be going so crazy over a grammer error. Not everyone is perfect and we all forget things. I understand if you correct a dumb facebook girl making no sense and showing no intelligence, but a simple error should not be taken so seriously. Some people get so crazy its like you just killed somone! She should of ignored it and maybe corrected it on a normal text mext time "your" was used. not a loving one. What she did was insensitive and unattractive. Really, its a text, I would think I would not be expected to do everything proper grammer in a text! I would be expected to in an e-mail, worksheet or letter though. About the text and not face to face, she could of not been there, and it just popped into his mind then. And somtimes its hard for a guy to tell a girl face to face. But her being his girlfriend should of been no problem and he sould of done it face to face. I think she was joking about it, a silly way of trying to be funny. Maybe she will reply with jk? Beacuse bad grammer or not, I would of ignored lack of commer and thought it was sweet. Unless I was in a silly stupid mood, I would of corrected it and said I was kidding.

Your sentence isn't even correct. As I said though, it's not a big deal because I understand what you are saying. My point is that if the purpose of language is to communicate and you do it to a point of adequacy where your message is comprehended, then the rest should not matter. Clearly she understood what he meant if she knew how to correct him.

Sinkhole 26

39 - Out of all the grammar/spelling mistakes you made, I'm just curious about one thing: why the hell do you say 'commer'? I mean, you said it in two different comments.

I'm more curious about "could of" and "grammer". Just think about "could of" for one second. Does it make any sense to you at all? Dammit, correct grammar and spelling are NOT rocket science, people.

RedPillSucks 31

It's generally because people are too lazy to think about spelling things other than the way they hear them. grammar sounds close to grammer, so that's good enough. Also sounds like gramma, so perhaps all these people are talking about some bad gramma killer. Perhaps we should switch to Esperanto.

chelsearenaeee 16

#39 The internet is notorious for being extremely harsh on people who don't use proper grammar. Why are you still fighting everyone on it? PS- I'm extremely turned off by bad grammar and so are most intelligent women.

I beg to differ #39 most intelligent women know that not everyone is perfect, we are all human and make mistakes. All that happens when you throw this sort of huge fit over you're/your is that you look bitchy and everyone looks harder at your comments to pounce on you for any spelling or grammar mishaps. Also it seems to me that most people who correct someone have a time where they mistype something. If you would like it to be overlooked when you (general you to all proposed "Grammar Natzis" which is a highly offensive term by the way) make an error then you should overlook the accidental errors others make. Maybe everyone on FML is an English major but I assure you grammar is really not very important in a text to a loved one. To OP, that was a douche move of her. I wish you the best of luck but don't expect her to be understanding about actual important things.

117 - Gotta disagree here. OP watered down his message by texting it, and then by not bothering to use correct grammar. It was already less than strong with "I think I may be in love with you." My take: she saw it as less than heartfelt because of this.

I am aware and (hopefully) understanding of the fact that not everyone has perfect grammar. Also, having poor grammar and being intelligent are not mutually exclusive. However, for me, poor grammar or spelling is a huge turn-off in a partner. It shows we do not have an interest in common that is extremely close to my heart.

Neyuu 18

Can we talk about the fact he told her this through text message...?

Why would anyone say something so meaningful over a text message? If a guy did that to me, I just wouldn't even bother replying

RedPillSucks 31

I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as it's not ONLY communicated in text. I agree that this is something better spoken in person though.

She's just trying to make you a-- Better Man. What a Pearl (Jam). (:

Ill balance out one of the negatives for ya. I found this a-mew-sing. ;)

zombieslayer83 19

I guess Jeremy shouldn't of spoke in class today.

"You're" girlfriend is f*cking awesome man!!!!