By HollyThorne - 23/04/2016 00:35 - Croatia

Today, I'm a 27-year-old back-to-school university student. Everyone hates me because I'm actually interested in participating in my classes and getting good grades, instead of partying, cheating in exams, and generally not giving a crap. Apparently I make them look bad. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 207
You deserved it 2 353

HollyThorne tells us more.

Hi, this is OP! I'm not doing the whole partying and not giving a crap part because I've already done that when I was their age so now that I'm older I'm more focused on the important stuff like getting a degree. Still, I underdtand where they are coming from, I was also like them when I was 19. Also, I am working as a freelancer on the Internet 30+hr/week so I'm way too busy and tired to get wild! The reason I think the other students don't like me (there are exceptions, of course) is because I really found myself in the field I'm studying now and like to participate in class discussions with questions and my opinions. Also, since I'm older I'm not that intimidated with my professors so I have a more friendly (but still respectful) relationship with them and they like me for my curiosity and interest. Maybe the class think that I'm a smartass or something. But I am super grateful for your support especially now when I'm tired and frustrated with it all and I will keep going for my own well being :)

Top comments

Hey they're just jealous, keep doing your thing. University doesn't last forever and you sound like you're going places.

What school is this? Maybe it's because I went to college, but seeing older people in school is normal. As long as you remain driven and don't let them bother you, you'll do great. Hope your time at school works out and you get an awesome job right after.

Comments

HAHAHAHA! Keep working as hard as possible and **** up all these partying whiney bitches. Studying or not are their personal choices and you shouldn't be dragged down to their level. Good luck with university! :D

Im in a pretty similar situation where people have a problem with me because im actually trying to get something out of school, though im in high school, not university. But as cliché as it sounds, we'll see who's laughing at who when you (OP) and i are rich, and they're all working at mcdonalds. Id much rather put in the work now and be happy later than screw around now and fail in the future. Keep up the good work OP.

joljenni 6

Don't worry about it. I'm 25, finished my first year at university, and have been mostly shunned for wanting to learn as well. I won an academic award for having the highest average in the engineering department....you can FEEL the hate. It's jealousy. Don't let it bring you down. Just like high school.... you'll never see them again in a couple of years!! :)

If you're one of those people who takes class time away from the material to have a discussion with the teacher then I hate you.

GOOD FOR YOU! I am in the same situation, only I'm 20 and just different from most kids my age. I don't find partying to be fun and I have a genuine interest in my classes and work hard to succeed in them.

i went back at the same age and found i didn't like the kids cause they didn't take anything serious, after the first year those kids either drop out or buck up. i'm in my fourth year now and everyone participates.

Dodge4x4Ram 46

I know exactly what you mean

I don't mean to be rude, however it seems (at least as I've interpreted it) that you have probably over reacted and that people don't actually hate you. If that many people condemned others for trying hard at university, then no one would graduate

This is the most relatable thing I have ever read. College is vey different when mommy and daddy aren't paying for it. I'm 26 this is my first semester back and I look like the biggest brown noser. But I kinda love being at the top of all my classes. You shouldn't feel anything but very proud.

I'm not sure about where you're from, but here in Ireland, a mature student is anyone who is 23 and older when they start/go back to college. I noticed that a lot of people dislike the older mature students because they're more "informal" with lecturers, probably because of their age, they can speak to them more confidently. I think it's also because they ask "silly" questions in class, i.e. questions about stuff that was thought in secondary school, related to a topic on the course, that the mature student may have forgotten or wasn't thought during their time at school, but everyone else knows it well and feels like a waste of time going over it again. I thought it was just in my course, but my friend who's in a different college noticed it in her class too.