By HollyThorne - 23/04/2016 00:35 - Croatia

Today, I'm a 27-year-old back-to-school university student. Everyone hates me because I'm actually interested in participating in my classes and getting good grades, instead of partying, cheating in exams, and generally not giving a crap. Apparently I make them look bad. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 207
You deserved it 2 353

HollyThorne tells us more.

Hi, this is OP! I'm not doing the whole partying and not giving a crap part because I've already done that when I was their age so now that I'm older I'm more focused on the important stuff like getting a degree. Still, I underdtand where they are coming from, I was also like them when I was 19. Also, I am working as a freelancer on the Internet 30+hr/week so I'm way too busy and tired to get wild! The reason I think the other students don't like me (there are exceptions, of course) is because I really found myself in the field I'm studying now and like to participate in class discussions with questions and my opinions. Also, since I'm older I'm not that intimidated with my professors so I have a more friendly (but still respectful) relationship with them and they like me for my curiosity and interest. Maybe the class think that I'm a smartass or something. But I am super grateful for your support especially now when I'm tired and frustrated with it all and I will keep going for my own well being :)

Top comments

Hey they're just jealous, keep doing your thing. University doesn't last forever and you sound like you're going places.

What school is this? Maybe it's because I went to college, but seeing older people in school is normal. As long as you remain driven and don't let them bother you, you'll do great. Hope your time at school works out and you get an awesome job right after.

Comments

ericanicole1 12

**** them then. You're there for you, not them. And if they're really that worried about looking bad compared to you, they should try harder

nikethejetplane 1

I just talk to someone at my job about something just this and I'm going to tell you the same thing I told them. If they can't handle you being smart then just keep doing what you doing and rise above them

kingdomgirl94 29

I went to university right out of high-school (so I'm the same age or younger than most of my peers) and I've been doing university wrong too, apparently.

Or it's because when you say "I'm actually interested in participating in my classes" you actually mean " I won't be quiet and I don't stop asking unrelated questions and the whole class has to waste time because I don't shut up"! Just a bloody idea.

entitled little A$$holes. mommy and daddy pay for it all why should they care? forget them go get good grades make them look bad. that's on them not you! go get your degree! good luck! and congratulations for going back!

maaaauuudd 14

"Participating" or dragging on the lecture/ holding the class back by always having to add to what the professor said? I have met some pretty cool non traditional students, but on average they are annoying classmates. If "everyone hates" you, then you are probably the problem.