By opherehehhehe - 25/06/2013 04:04 - Canada - Calgary

Today, I held a party for my family so I could announce my pregnancy. In the middle of my speech, my mother stopped me, saying, "Nobody gives a rat's ass, where's the booze?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 710
You deserved it 4 050

opherehehhehe tells us more.

opherehehhehe 5

The speech took less than 2 minutes, it was a brief message thanking everyone for coming and how me and my husband greatly appreciate it. The party was the only way to gather my whole family. A dinner reservation would cost hundreds of dollars considering the size of my family. My brother just led my mother out and we carried on. Yes, we did supply a little wine but be didn't want a lot of alcohol considering I am pregnant and I don't want anyone drunk. Just clearing it up (:

Top comments

perdix 29

She's just looking out for the health of your baby. Now that you can't consume your alcohol, your mom just wants to remove it from your home for safety's sake. You are blessed to have a mom who will "take one for the team!"

Wizardo 33

Evil grandmother: check. Alcohol fueled lifestyle: check. Beginnings of a Disney film: check. Now for the plot to unfold.

Comments

feldco1 17

Well you know where her priorities lie. Make sure your child isn't exposed to any of that.

that's what I was thinking... my announcement was a gift that they opened. no freaking speech. Maybe they're a huge vocal family

opherehehhehe 5

I was giving a short, brief speech on thanking everyone for coming and why I gathered them around. I started to say, "As you know, me and (husband's name) have been together for a while now, and we decided that we wanted to bring in a new life into this world." My mother interrupted at "we decided". As you can see, it wasn't a huge 1 hour speech. It was a brief thank you and announcement.

Why would you want to broadcast something that intimate? I'd like to share that with people who actually care that I was, and apparently there was none at that shindig...

Normally when somebody has news like that, they want to share it with their family.

Well hopefully her loved ones that she (i assume invited) did care. Obviously her mom didn't. Thats enough to hurt anyones feelings. Besides pregnancy is really not intimate when everyone will know after about three months.

make sure she is never allowed near your child

Her mother might be crazy, but I don't think she knew her daughter was going to announce said announcement. Could be a mistake, not a reason for her to never see her grand daughter ever again...

olpally 32

Someone likes to be an attention *****, give her $20 and tell her to gtfo and go buy some then. Bitch.

Why would there be booze at an announcing-pregnancy-party?

Maybe there wasn't any alcohol and that's why the mom was asking where it was? :P

They could have had wine for celebration. Maybe it was in her home and she has a liquor cabinet.

Guess Grandma won't be spending too much time with the kids, huh?

A party and a 'speech' to announce you're pregnant? Really? We simply called the grandparents-to-be, then they invited us to dinner to celebrate.

hooligyn123 18

Maybe it was a simple one? I was at a similar dinner party where the hostess gave a quick "I want to thank you all for coming and my husband and I invited you all here because you are special people in our lives and wanted us to let you know that we are expecting a baby" and one or two more lines about the baby and being proud of her family. it took less than two minutes to say. doesn't mean she was giving a half hour dictation.

opherehehhehe 5

Sigh... guys... It's OP here again. For the last time, I held the party because it was the only way to gather the whole family together to announce it. Any dinner reservation would cost too much money considering the size of my family. It wasn't a "party party". It was just a small event in my house with some drinks and food. The speech was extremely brief and my mother was just being rude. We've been trying to have a baby for years and it hasn't worked out so this was very important to me. You can announce your pregnancy the way you want, but this is the way I announced mine. And having a baby is important to me, and I'm not just going to say, "Oh yeah, I'm pregnant." I wanted to make it special, sue me.

chezgigi 7

You don't have to explain your reasons to these pikers! You give a party for what ever reason you want, in the manner in which you want it! Your mom's response just lets me know where they get the lines for these sitcoms with dysfunctional families-

Don't be a dick. People can do what they want!

venus89 17

How could you not give her the booze? Makes everyone happy