By workwork - 05/08/2019 14:00

Today, I got a threatening email from my manager, saying my job is in jeopardy if I call off again. Somehow, my leaving early to drive my mom to the ER is inexcusable, yet it's perfectly fine for the same manager to leave early to take her dogs to the groomers. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 965
You deserved it 171

Same thing different taste

Top comments

BigSissy 14

I’m not sure if I’m understanding you correctly, but your suggestion is to have another job in reserve in case you get fired from that one? I don’t know how that would work. Most places that hire someone expect them to start working relatively soon.

Comments

You're the employee, you're mostly part of the jobs machine running. She isn't wrong but she can be more understandable. Managers have much more leeway than regular employees. What she doesn't know is that people wont want to work there if there's no wiggle room for stuff like what you had to do. She's also power tripping, but she can do anything she wants when it comes to her time and what she does. Comes with the title!

spdmn00000006431 5

Maybe she just hates you and wanted to find away to fire you anyway

Something tells me that your attendance was an issue before the ER incident. No reasonable employer is going to make a statement like that without a reason. Notice I said reasonable employer. There's also a difference between scheduling time off, and taking time off without notice.

You don’t play by the same rules as your superiors. Accept it or become self-employed, where you can make the rule structure to your liking.

and the reason you didnt foward that email to their boss is?

ThatOneLonelyAsian 31

well if i was you I'd already have a job planned and be like 'don't worry do whats best for you' and if they fire you you'll have this other job but most likely they wont as people love confidence

BigSissy 14

I’m not sure if I’m understanding you correctly, but your suggestion is to have another job in reserve in case you get fired from that one? I don’t know how that would work. Most places that hire someone expect them to start working relatively soon.

TrashlifeKaylala 12

Managers suck. They abuse their position heavily. My old manager used to leave for hours every shift to get coffee and smoke weed with whoever her favorite co workers were. Which left like 2 people dealing with customers and we got over ran. I tried to call in because i also had taken my grandma to the ER and she told me I either needed to find someone to cover my shift or i was coming in. I didnt go in, and it turns out they hadnt even needed me that shift anyways. Sorry OP. Just another reason to try to be the top dog

TomeDr 24

I once had a manager lay me off (3 weeks before Christmas) because I had to leave a half hour early to take my sick baby to the doctors. It didn’t matter that I called and got coverage. He said I was “unreliable”. Then he got mad at me because I was depressed the rest of the day.

Don’t you guys have any rules on unfair dismissal? In Uk or Italy this would be illegal and rightly so. Managers have to follow the same rules as everyone else. In fact they should give a good example

I used to have a manager that would consistently make an excuse to leave work. At first it just seemed like he had a lot going on or was busy but I started to notice his excuses were fake when he said he was going to visit a customer and after several hours of not being able to get a hold of him I rang the customer and found out he never went there. Eventually I told our Regional Manager who didn't believe me at first but I kept a record of every time he did it and Id confirmed the fake excuses. Long story short I've now been the Manager for 3 years and he no longer works for us.