By karmaplz - 23/02/2011 14:26 - United States

Today, I got a call from the police dept. My ex-boyfriend is applying for a job there, and they called me to ask if he was "a good candidate for a police officer." I had to start my day off by saying great, nice things about the guy who broke my heart and completely disrespected me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 529
You deserved it 20 674

karmaplz tells us more.

I feel the need to clear up some of this discussion! First of all--thanks to all these anon. people for defending me. I honestly submitted this immediately after getting the phone call @ 8:30 am, never thinking it'd be posted. Secondly-- is he a bad guy? No. I'm sure if being a cop is what he wants to do, and has his heart in it, he'll do great at his job. As far as the disrespect: it got to a point where I wasn't valued as a person, and some very vulgar, vile, rude and hurtful things were said/done to me, that wouldn't have been done if I was respected for who I am. If I was seen as a human with a heart and feelings, these things wouldn't have been done. Can I say that this will never happen to another female? No. Do I think he's pure evil? No. Saying bad things would have been purely vengeful and ruined a potential career. Also, I wasn't listed a reference, they required names and phone numbers of "significant relationships"--- I was asked if there was ever an assault between us, and about his moral character. That's it. I've had a seriously great laugh over realizing this was actually posted, and loved reading all the comments. Thanks!

Top comments

Why didn't you just tell them bad things?

As someone who knows a fair amount about the hiring process, you should have told them he was disrespectful. It is NOT grounds for disqualification, but it would give them a realistic idea about who he was. They would talk to him about it, but that doesn't mean they would DQ him. You should have been honest.

Comments

thats nice, but you should have just told them you are in no position to give your opinions about him because they could be clouded and such.

Maybe he gave her as a reference before they broke up.

great, all we need another asshole cop! shit you shoulda told the truth, well no, then he might get the job and start harassing you for telling the truth

I feel the need to clear up some of this discussion! First of all--thanks to all these anon. people for defending me. I honestly submitted this immediately after getting the phone call @ 8:30 am, never thinking it'd be posted. Secondly-- is he a bad guy? No. I'm sure if being a cop is what he wants to do, and has his heart in it, he'll do great at his job. As far as the disrespect: it got to a point where I wasn't valued as a person, and some very vulgar, vile, rude and hurtful things were said/done to me, that wouldn't have been done if I was respected for who I am. If I was seen as a human with a heart and feelings, these things wouldn't have been done. Can I say that this will never happen to another female? No. Do I think he's pure evil? No. Saying bad things would have been purely vengeful and ruined a potential career. Also, I wasn't listed a reference, they required names and phone numbers of "significant relationships"--- I was asked if there was ever an assault between us, and about his moral character. That's it. I've had a seriously great laugh over realizing this was actually posted, and loved reading all the comments. Thanks!

As someone who knows a fair amount about the hiring process, you should have told them he was disrespectful. It is NOT grounds for disqualification, but it would give them a realistic idea about who he was. They would talk to him about it, but that doesn't mean they would DQ him. You should have been honest.

Good on you for being a big enough of a person for saint nice things about an ex boyfriend

Also, OP they know not everyone gets along with their exs. It's just part of being human.

OP, you sound like a really great person. I seriously admire your maturity and ability to be kind to someone who has not been kind to you. You rock, keep that mindset.

Sorry to burst a bubble, but this was posted in 2011. I highly doubt the OP would ever see these messages, let alone care about this little phone call 4 years later.

Don't spoil the fun for us. I mean if the party is over then the party is over. Just let us eat the leftover snacks.

Mad props to you for not ruining his career. Respect. However, he doesn't really sound like a nice guy.

skyeyez9 24

Someone that treated his gf like total crap would not be a good police officer. He treats you bad, he will treat others that way. But the difference is he has a gun and badge.

mrslegume 8

I agree you shouldn't be the vengeful ex, but you also shouldn't have lied. If he makes it to the next stage he will be given a lie detector test and will be asked questions regarding his behavior. Also, a man who makes you feel less of a person and verbally abuses you shouldn't be a police officer. They are held to a higher standard. My hubby has been a cop for 9 years, we've been married for 14. He's never made me feel the way you described and I know he's a better cop for the public because he is respectful.

tintin10_fml 13

I'm not sure you had the right to complain to begin with if you willingly gave him the reference.

Sounds like he's going to be another disrespectful cop. Thanks.

She didn't "willingly give the reference". She was listed as being a "significant relationship" in his past, so they had to call her to find out what her take on the breakup was. If he had physically assaulted her or stolen large amounts of money from her, they would want to know why.

Kristoffer 35

you could, and should, have declined to comment.

Why would you say nice things about him if he treated you so bad and broke your heart? You're too nice, I wouldn't have done that.

gusgus36 5

haven't you heard of karma? this was your chance to say that he would be a terribly candidate for the job and stuff like that. why would you help him out?

because that wouldn't have been bringing good karma unto me!

Anaxes 5

Karma is a term used by naive people who believe the universe is balanced.

Because why would she want to sink down to his level.

Revenge? An eye for and eye makes the whole world blind.