By karmaplz - 23/02/2011 14:26 - United States

Today, I got a call from the police dept. My ex-boyfriend is applying for a job there, and they called me to ask if he was "a good candidate for a police officer." I had to start my day off by saying great, nice things about the guy who broke my heart and completely disrespected me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 529
You deserved it 20 674

karmaplz tells us more.

I feel the need to clear up some of this discussion! First of all--thanks to all these anon. people for defending me. I honestly submitted this immediately after getting the phone call @ 8:30 am, never thinking it'd be posted. Secondly-- is he a bad guy? No. I'm sure if being a cop is what he wants to do, and has his heart in it, he'll do great at his job. As far as the disrespect: it got to a point where I wasn't valued as a person, and some very vulgar, vile, rude and hurtful things were said/done to me, that wouldn't have been done if I was respected for who I am. If I was seen as a human with a heart and feelings, these things wouldn't have been done. Can I say that this will never happen to another female? No. Do I think he's pure evil? No. Saying bad things would have been purely vengeful and ruined a potential career. Also, I wasn't listed a reference, they required names and phone numbers of "significant relationships"--- I was asked if there was ever an assault between us, and about his moral character. That's it. I've had a seriously great laugh over realizing this was actually posted, and loved reading all the comments. Thanks!

Top comments

Why didn't you just tell them bad things?

As someone who knows a fair amount about the hiring process, you should have told them he was disrespectful. It is NOT grounds for disqualification, but it would give them a realistic idea about who he was. They would talk to him about it, but that doesn't mean they would DQ him. You should have been honest.

Comments

ur an idiot OP. if he broke ur hert u shud have told em bad thing about. YDI u douche

Learn to spell, and I do not believe "douche" is applicable here.

Acousticpixie14 6

So despite the fact that I completely disagree with your decision on this matter in t he FML, I like you. Yeah, just thought I'd let you know. It's always nice to hear that someone thinks you're awesome!

#158 you are a bigger idiot because you can't even spell.

I am still trying to figure out what #158 said.... besides that fact OP has got a real heart and you are very nice. Me on the other hand, I am a huge jerk and probably would have done the same thing because I cannot ruin a persons career. I would just think about if someone ruined my dream career what would I do.

The douche thing to do would have been to maliciously try to destroy this guys career over a break up. Exes are Exes for a reason

you are the douche, you illiterate asshole. #158

will_5801 13

M8 don't h8 aprec8 and learn to spell

Brookiebear167 0

...guess what you get for lying. A complete dumb ass working for your city/state. Smooth move.

ok, so your ex was a complete douche nugget to you and you told the police good stuff about him anyway? Grow a pair OP, dont give his life benefits. YDI

Op could be stretching the truth about his disrespectful. Her idea of disrespect could have been him putting "single" on his FB.

instead of saying good things, or even bad things, just say he is your ex, and you don't wanna talk about him.

iTerrorized 4

An undercover cop .. seeing as how he's a 'bandit'. a

You could have politely declined to comment. "I don't believe in an eye for an eye. I believe in two eyes for an eye!"

briidontgive_ 0

YDI , u didn't HAVE to say anything

Anaxes 5

"I had to start my day off by saying great, nice things about the guy who broke my heart and completely disrespected me." No, you didn't, you are just weak and pathetic.

no, she is a good person who couldn't ruin someone's career just because their relationship was bad and didn't work out.

effstephslife 0

you shouldve been honest. if he disrespected you then you shouldn't have bothered being a good reference for him. ydi.

Did it ever occur to you that OP was honest? Just because he broke her heart in a very bad way, does that mean he deserves to have his life ruined? A lot of people in the comments here are terrible people! Including you!