By Ican'tgotoschoolapparently - 07/10/2016 07:18 - United States - Vancouver

Today, I found out after $200 worth of checks and tests, three rugs being ruined from her peeing and pooping on them, that my cat isn't sick. She just has really bad separation anxiety. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 375
You deserved it 1 179

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You have a few options, OP. 1) Take your cat with you everywhere you go. To work, to the gym, on dates. Everywhere. 2) Cover every square inch of your home with litter boxes. Litter boxes on the floor, litter boxes on your furniture, litter boxes on your appliances. Everywhere. 3) Try leaving the radio on a talk radio station before you go anywhere so your cat doesn't feel so alone. It could work. Personally, I'd go with option 2.

I think my cat has that too. She has a lot of trouble separating her claws from my flesh.

Comments

davek 36

The reverse of a crazy cat lady. A crazy lady cat?

My cat has the same problem, she can't even handle being in a different room then me. You can buy plug ins that release a spray that will calm kitty down. Also like other people mentioned kitty stress pills. I also play with her a lot before I leave it helps

Is she your only cat? Because cats are extremely social and except for a few rare cases they really appreciate and often even need a partner. It may be too late already seeing how extremely dependant she is on you but I would definitely try to introduce her to a well socialised cat her age.

I have three other cats, one of them likes to randomly rocket launch himself into her, the other one followed his example and also rocket launches herself at her, then the last one is the only one who'll actually treat her like another cat instead of like a personal cat scratcher

I have a dog like that. If we step outside the house without him to work on projects or play with our daughter he barks and howls till someone comes inside. If we actually take off in the car for more than 10 minutes we come back to poop and urine on the floor. Nothing works. I might try the last resort and medicate him as our vet once suggested.

Is the only time she eliminates outside the litter box when you're gone? Because if she's also doing it when you're in the other room, I'd think it's a litter box issue. Some cats are really picky about litter boxes. Scoop at least once a day, change litter about once a month. If you have a two story house, or house where she can be separated from the litter box, give her at least two boxes. And experiment with the type of litter also. Good luck!

If you just have the one you should get another cat and solve the root of the problem her loneliness. It is so much better for a cats mental, emotional, and physical health to not be alone. Thank goodness I volunteer for a rescue that knows this and will only adopt out two (or more) cats together or one (or more) people who already have at least one cat in the home. We get a lot of previous adopters because they ended up with great cats with no behavioral issues that live long happy lives and want to adopt from us again.