By Bleiz - 14/06/2016 19:41 - United States - Federal Way

Today, I decided to act on my therapist's advice and ask my crush out. She turned me down because I'm apparently too much of a downer. The reason I have a therapist is because I'm depressed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 048
You deserved it 1 252

Bleiz_fml tells us more.

I just want to say thank you for all of the love and such. Just getting y FML published made me excited a little! And to all the people saying that the girl is "not worth it" and stuff like that, we are still good friends and I get where she was coming from. Like multiple people have said, dating someone that has a mental disorder can be tough (especially if said person has multiple, such as ADD and an anxiety disorder I forgot the name to). Anyways thanks for the support and all..

Top comments

Be proud of yourself for having the courage to ask her out! Not an easy thing to do, especially not when you're not feeling good.

Don't worry, you'll find someone, best of luck with the therapy

Comments

Don't worry you will find somebody that loves you

You learned to step out of your comfort zone. Congrats. You didn't get the desired result but you stepped out of your comfort zone and coped with disappointment. Congrats! You are making progress. She on the other hand missed out on meeting a great guy Her loss not yours

dannidoll93 24

I didn't think therapists were meant to give advice? Seems like a risky thing to advise, since you're obviously fragile right now and your therapist presumably had no way of knowing how the girl would respond. Try not to take the rejection too hard, OP, there are plenty more people out there for you. And I hope you feel better soon.

Maybe the therapists didn't necessarily say to ask out the crush. They could have just as easily said to do one thing out of their comfort zone at least once before their next session or something just to see how it goes, and maybe they picked that. We'll never know until OP comments.

Therapists typically give advice on how to improve your life and/or deal with a disorder or such.

Your therapist sucks. Don't do this. You will not find happiness in someone else if you aren't happy with yourself.

Suaria 38

I have dysthymia which is depression that has lasted for over 2 years. Mine has been going for 9. During those 9 years I had multiple relationships and one very serious one that lasted for 2 years. Yes my mental health may not have been particularly stable but I and my ex significant other were perfectly happy together. We broke up on good terms but we did part ways. My point is you can have a good relationship even if you don't love yourself. It is problematic to say you have to love yourself before loving others because many people may never be able to love themselves or become better.

It wasn't until I was in a relationship that I started viewing myself better. Won't work for anyone but it's better than people unable to lift themselves up because they're told not to try dating until afterwards.

Aww man that's the worst. Nothing like taking every step to make yourself grow and be better than having someone call up your past and dismiss you as such. Some people just don't understand growth. I'm sorry. You'll find someone who will both understand and like you for you, so long as you're trying your best. The right people pick up on that kinda stuff. Good luck, OP.

Well that's not their past, they're still depressed and not everybody can support a partner with a mental illness

Suaria 38

Some people need to understand is this girl simply was not interested in the OP. Just because someone has depression does not mean the other person has to date them.

As a psychologist, I'm wondering how that statement even came about? Was it said to OP's face? Even if a professional were to feel they can't help, they should refer you in a non-judgmental manner. To be called a name (which is basically what happened) is highly unprofessional. You can actually lay a complaint with the Board of Ethics and they'd likely get a hefty fine and a warning (provided USA is somewhat similar to South Africa in this regard). I had depression too OP, you'll find the right help. Feel free to message me as well if you ever need someone to talk to... :)

As a psychologist, you should have understood that the OP said the crush called him "a downer", not the therapist.

*read wrong the first time, excuse previous comment* As a psychologist, I was taught that a therapist of any regard should not give outright advice. They may guide you to come to your own conclusions, but not outright tell you what THEY feel YOU should do. It's generally an Ethics dilemma, but the whole point is to prevent things like this from happening. Take it in your stride, you did something you thought you couldn't do, and with depression of all things. I for one am very proud of you. Just remember, one day someone will say yes, and you'll forget all about the one who couldn't see your qualities. I had depression too OP, you'll find the right help. Feel free to message me as well if you ever need someone to talk to... :)

The irony of it is that if she had said yes, it may have completely or partially reversed your depression and you wouldn't be such a downer.

Can't tell if joking or not? because that's not how depression works

You need to find happiness within yourself and not rely on getting it from others. After that then you can work on finding relationships.