By jackjona - 16/12/2016 06:03 - United States - Sioux Falls

Today, I closed the store on my own for the first time. As I was locking the front door, the key broke. Now half the key is stuck and the door is still unlocked. I have to stay until we open in the morning and I'm not getting paid for it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 997
You deserved it 1 073

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually you ARE getting paid for it. That is the law. If your employer requires you to remain in the premises, he has to pay you to do so. He has no choice in the matter.

I'm pretty sure you either should have been paid, or you didn't have to stay, I'm sure someone will get into the specifics, but something doesn't seem right.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

And somewhere in the dark an insomniac locksmith weeps...

There are plenty 24 hour emergency locksmiths. In Canada at least.

Most locksmiths in the US have an emergency after-hours number to call that goes straight to their cell. They just charge extra for the inconvenience.

I'm pretty sure you either should have been paid, or you didn't have to stay, I'm sure someone will get into the specifics, but something doesn't seem right.

Kristoffer 35

You're correct. If op wasn't relived of their duties and allowed to go home, they must be paid for the time.

mariri9206 32

Or they could have called their manager to explain what happened and see what they recommend to do in the situation?

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

No engine braking though. Wouldn't want to wake the neighbors.

if you're going to brake why get the running start? If you meant break, I'm sure a heavy object in the store would work better.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Actually you ARE getting paid for it. That is the law. If your employer requires you to remain in the premises, he has to pay you to do so. He has no choice in the matter.

The owner legally has to pay you for hours stayed and they cannot make you stay there. You didn't cause anything negligent to happen so that's one of the issues being the owner involves. They either call a locksmith (there are some with after hours) or they can get out of bed and watch their own place.

species4872 19

That's not automatically negligent; as long as they weren't doing anything silly with it, keys just break sometimes.

Bicyle lock? Probably not practical - could get cut and everything stolen.

What? No! What happens now is that your manager gets their lazy arse out of bed, calls an emergency locksmith, gets down to the shop and sends you home as soon they arrive. Managers aren't paid extra to look pretty; they're paid extra to deal with stressful and inconvenient shit like this.

tounces7 27
r83839 22

....then they call the emergency locksmith, get the lock fixed, and go home and sleep. :|

mariri9206 32

33, if OP is a manager, this wouldn't be the first time they're closing.

jnugzzz 6

Maybe it was their first closing shift as a manager. Some places where I've worked, when someone was promoted to manager, they didn't close alone for a while until they were a little more experienced.

Yeah I hadn't considered that possibility, OP just sounded kinda junior. I'd expect a manager to be more confident dealing with something like this but you never can tell.

even if he's a manager there'll still be someone higher up to contact

That's not legal. Employers cannot mandate anything without paying you. They can, unfortunately, bully you into "volunteering" out of guilt. I hope that's not what happened to you OP!