By Anonyme - 05/01/2011 04:43 - Serbia

Today, at lunch, my seven-year-old daughter and I had a chat. I asked her if she had a sweetheart. She said, "My sex life is none of your business." FML
I agree, your life sucks 664
You deserved it 104

Top comments

deathstroke990 22

she probably just heard it on tv and used it to be funny

Comments

deathstroke990 22

she probably just heard it on tv and used it to be funny

I really hope that's the case. If so, OP's daughter is hilarious. But I'd consider it a good idea to not let her say that again...

Gofuckyourself 24

What exactly do you play on TV for a seven year old to hear that kind of language? When I'm around seven year olds, it's all about the cartoons.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

A lot of young children are exposed to things like that. The only way to keep them from things like that is to basically lock them in a closet and never let them watch TV, let them on the internet, let them go to public school, have friends, etc. With the way things are now, its impossible to keep them from hearing or seeing things like that. You can monitor them and limit what they see, sure. But they will still hear and learn things.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
TheGamerXYZ 19

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Yeah, but you can't put parental controls on the girl's classmates or other actual people she might hear it from.

You can't put parental controls on everything ever. Also, they will learn eventually. No, its not appropriate for a seven year old to know about sex, but you can't can't keep them from life just because you want to shelter them. And yes, some partents need to realize that their children don't have to like them all the time, but that's not the point. This particular circumstance doesn't require punishment for the sole reason that she very likely doesn't really understand what she said, she was probably repeating something she heard. There is a balance with parenting and no one is perfect.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Funny that you say the generation your kids are part of is "messed up," considering it's your generation that's responsible for raising them. What's the saying? "Make sure your house is clean before you judge the neighbor's dusting"? Parents can't control everything their kids get exposed to, especially if said kid goes to public school or public day cares/after school programs. Yes, the parent should tell them not to say that again, but there's only so much you can punish a seven year old before it crosses into excessive- especially over parroting something she likely heard from adults. You know, the people kids pick up social constructs from. That said, knowing what sex is, what happens during it, etc., CAN be acceptable for young children to know. The concerns would be why the child knew it, and if they were exhibiting unhealthy behavior towards other child, which COULD be an indication of abuse or child grooming.

@35, there's nothing wrong with children that age knowing about sex. In my experience many find out about it at around 5. It's perfectly normal and okay.

your kid might be watching too much TV. chances are she has no idea what it really means, but you need to have a talk with her.

Yes. Because having that conversation with your kids will totally work out well. (Insert eye roll here)

qteabutt 12

She's probably been doing lewd things ... like hand holding.

They really do start young D: Let's hope she's just saying it mindlessly and heard it from somewhere else.

When I was a kid, I knew words like sex and f*cking and so on, but I had only a very vague idea of what it really meant. I thought it was something like hugging or giving a kiss on the lips. So your daughter might know the expression and be aware of the fact that it's something related to having a "sweetheart", but not really know more than that.

I was thinking the same thing. Kids may hear sex somewhere but think it's just kissing or something. They don't know it actually means sex.

Maybe she picked it up from kids at school? That happens. That's how my brother learned the word, and the meaning of 'teabagging'

Sassy and confident. That girl is going places. Hopefully places like law school or med school and not... well... less dignified places.