By aviationgeek - 18/05/2016 18:18 - United States - Bothell

Today, as a Uber driver, a passenger requested a ride at 5:30 a.m. so he could go a half block to the McDonald's drive thru and back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 959
You deserved it 2 488

aviationgeek tells us more.

Op here. the guy didn't tip or offer to buy me any food. it was a $3 fare.

Top comments

Well you got paid didn't you? And you did sign up for that "job" didn't you?

I am also an Uber driver... I've totally had this happen to me too! I don't mind it, usually I get free food, and get paid and sometimes tipped on top of it.

Comments

Well, technically, it's easy money in exchange for his laziness.

Drive-thrus don't serve walk-up customers and some 24-hour fast food places will close the dining room and serve only out of the drive-thru.

deathstroke990 22

the drivers don't know where youre.going until you get in the car and the minimum fare is 4$

Op here. the guy didn't tip or offer to buy me any food. it was a $3 fare.

Lazy people tick me off. All he did was waste your time. If he didn't have a car, he should have just made some breakfast at home.

Not being funny OP but why would he? It may have been a short journey but you were on the job, it's not like you were dragged out of bed to do just one journey. If he paid you and didn't mess up your cab then I don't really see what the issue is.

I feel for you. I use uber a lot as I'm epileptic and can't drive for 6 months after each seizure. After talking to the drivers I understand you pay for your own gas, insurance, etc, and while some may argue that's the risk you take to have a leisure job, it's still inconsiderate of people to use the service for such short rides. Especially when the driver can't see where they're going until pickup. I imagine a large percentage of the commenters are very young and not only don't understand how the service works but are too naive to understand the inconvenience

I wasn't dragged out of bed to do it. Rides like that are just a waste of time especially at 5:30 am when It's prime airport trips. He didn't even offer to buy me anything or tip.

I wasn't dragged out of bed to do it. Rides like that are just a waste of time especially at 5:30 am when It's prime airport trips. He didn't even offer to buy me anything or tip.

how do you know this person didn't have a condition that stopped them from driving? or is it that unless you are going a long distance and can shell out $10+ you shouldn't be allowed to take a cab anywhere...

#36, half block. As in, about 100 feet. They can walk, or wheel, or whatever they do for transportation.

OP, I heard tip is not involved for Uber. However, offering food would have been the best course of action on his part. At the very least, I hope he thanked you a lot for bothering to help him out at that early time for something he likely could have done himself if the distance was that short.

As an uber driver you can refuse to take passengers, you can clearly see where they are picked up and where they want to go aswell as the estimated rate. YDI for not checking the info before accepting the passengers

M3DO 24

He doesn't owe you a tip or food, stop whining about it

I live in a part of Canada that doesn't have Uber, and I'm going to be in the US for an internship in a few months. What's a standard tip to give your uber driver?

Well, while op was waiting in mcd's drive thru, he could have potentially missed a larger fare, or a customer that gave large tips.

Plus I doubt a $3 fare was worth the gas money it took to get there.

mariri9206 32

I thought Uber had an automatic 20% tip? Then again, I only used it once and vowed to never use it again after that cause the driver I had didn't pick me up at my requested location (I had to walk to meet him at the light he was stopped at), was texting on his phone during my transport while he was driving, and somehow managed to change the base fair I should have paid into a higher amount. On my email receipt, in addition to the raised to fare price, I saw a hailing fee (understandable) and an automatic 20% tip (I didn't have an option for this at all).

From what you just described it works exactly like every cab company in my area except the cab drivers are protected with regulation and I get a price regulated to keep price gouging from becoming a thing. And I can still order my cab with my smart phone and pay with a credit card and they have been doing that long before Uber was a thing.

Maybe he was drunk and you just saved lives. :)

Can't you not accept the ride if you don't want to?

I think the main advantage of Uber (over hailing a taxi) is that the driver cannot refuse to drive to less profitable locations, so probably not...

mariri9206 32

@70, taxis can't decline customers, either. Like it's illegal. It's also illegal for them to refuse credit card payment and only accept cash fares.

I'm a Lyft driver, and I frequently drive overnight, and so I think I understand a bit of context that the OP may not have thought to include. We don't know where the passenger is going until after the passenger is already in the car. Some have said this already, but the context that has been left out is that of 5:30 AM. At 5:30 AM, the demand for rides is low, but the supply of drivers is even lower, so overnight, it's not uncommon for me to drive 20-30 minutes (often as many miles) just to take someone on a 5-minute trip. We don't get paid for time spent driving to get the passenger. Receiving $4 for driving all that distance does get annoying to many drivers (I think it's funny most of the time). Fistbumps from the mustachioed side, OP.

at 5:30 am I always get airport trips. I don't know in what city you drive, but in Seattle, we stay busy that early.

ashyash90 8

Hey you chose your job! Plus I always hear the Uber commercials being like "be your own boss! make your own schedule!" Sooooo if you don't want to drive idiots around at 5:30am for whatever they want (which is your job description) then don't work at that time????

Don't complain it's your job suck it up asshole because guess what some people don't have cars