This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By over it - 02/02/2017 22:00 - Australia - Ryde

Today, and for the last 9 months, my extended family continue to tell me how good my ex-girlfriend was and how stupid I was to break it off. Knowing how much they liked her, I decided not to tell them the reason I broke up with her was because she cheated on me, twice. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 167
You deserved it 2 260

Top comments

Just tell them! Doesn't sound like it's your fault.

Comments

hardattack62 5
Attacksloth 33

They like a version of her that clearly doesn't exist, and at the cost of your reputation. Why would you keep a lie just so that they continue to appreciate your ex, while at the same time (and constantly for nine months) criticizing you and belittling you for breaking it off? No disrespect intended, but are you masochistic?

Attacksloth 33

They like a version of her that clearly doesn't exist, and at the cost of your reputation. Why would you keep a lie just so that they continue to appreciate your ex, while at the same time (and constantly for nine months) criticizing you and belittling you for breaking it off? No disrespect intended, but are you masochistic?

You are under no obligation to keep her infidelity a secret in order to allow other people to continue thinking well of her. A simple "you know, I'm tired of being told how stupid I am when she is the one who cheated multiple times. Stop harassing me. If YOU like her so much, YOU go date her. Just make sure to wear a condom and get checked for STD's frequently". Then - walk away. Any further mention of her and you have my permission to never speak to them again.

Seriously??? She got her jollies, broke your heart and you are still letting her control your decisions? Wow.... that's just sad

I understand saving a reputation as I've done the same myself staying quiet to let people figure out for themselves what happened. But eventually they figured it out. You should clearly say that maybe they would change their minds if they knew the reason you broke up

Saving the reputation is polite if you have friends in common and you don't want those friends to have a poisoned opinion of the ex just because it didn't work out between the two of you. It doesn't apply to your family, who have presumably cut contact with the ex, nor does it require you keep silent if you've been cheated on (Because it's no one's right to betray you and mistreat you and then demand that you keep that mistreatment a secret to protect their reputation). What OP is doing is just martyrdom.

jcash52426 5

I don't think it matter the reason you break up with someone your family should support your decision. They are allowed to express there opinion for example I'm sorry you guys broke up you guys always seemed like a great couple.

tell them the truth. she cheated on you that's not your fault and they shouldn't be giving you shit. also you are only punishing yourself by not being honest with your family

onceuponatime456 16

You make yourself look like a fool. It is time they knew the truth! Let them know how much of a ***** "Miss Perfect" is!.