By NateTheGreat132 - 20/10/2014 11:59 - United States - Whitehall

Today, after months of job hunting, I started a new job in a deli. I've been a vegetarian since I was 13, but it was the only job I could find. Turns out, I'm allergic to the preservatives they use, as my fingers now resemble sausages. Guess it's time to start job hunting again. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 827
You deserved it 4 396

NateTheGreat132 tells us more.

I was wearing gloves. When you open up a new carving block, there's TONS of meaty juice inside of there that you have to drain out. Some of it got inside my gloves.

Comments

And that's what you get for being vegetarian. We, as humans, did not climb to the top of the food chain to eat grass...and remember, if we weren't supposed to eat animals they wouldn't be made of meat.

Congratulations for being vegetarian it takes balls.

no it takes vegetables, i cant think of any vegetarian who eats balls

Lct1196 31

I use paramedic gloves (the purple brand) They're sturdy enough that they will last through an entire shift and thin enough that they allow you to feel everything including money at the register. Oh and you can wash your hands with them on, no problem. They cost around $12 per 100 count box online, well worth it. Good luck!

When handling food you are supposed to change your gloves frequently (and wash your hands before putting on new gloves), if you are following the rules it is impossible to just use one pair of gloves for the whole shift. Especially with meat, you need to be really careful about cross contamination.

Handle money with the same gloves you touched food with, and you don't see a problem with this? Money is filthy and could have anything on it.

askullnamedbilly 33

That made me cringe. The entire purpose of wearing gloves is that you can easily change them to avoid cross contamination. If you wear your gloves for an entire shift, they will be just as filthy as your bare hands by the end. The medical professionals your gloves were designed for either work in a sterile environment like the operating theatre or change gloves a LOT to make sure they don't accidentally introduce bacteria to their patients.

I don't handle food. I work in a store. I still wear gloves .

yep. that'll set you back to the drawing board.

An unless you're allergic to someone making it rain, you should have no problem!

jeanyrios 10

The gloves didn't help? Hope you find something new soon OP...but I know what you mean for finding a place to work

Well hey, at least you can sell your sausage fingers to the deli.

Aww I know how you feel. Good luck searching!