The voice

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - United States - Madison

Today, after finishing a song during karaoke, a man came up to me and held out his hand. Quite flattered, I shook it, said thanks and that I was glad he enjoyed it. Turns out he was next and just wanted the microphone. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 500
You deserved it 10 159

Top comments

littlemsweirdo 12

Why woud he shake your hand if he enjoyed it? Wouldnt it be more of a normal response if he clapped?

chickenflem 8

It's all good. Just hand him the microphone and walk off like a boss.

Comments

littlemsweirdo 12

Why woud he shake your hand if he enjoyed it? Wouldnt it be more of a normal response if he clapped?

So anything other than clapping is abnormal? Excuse me if I find that a bit ridiculous.

Maybe OP was just nervous. This happens to be worst than waving at someone that wasn't waving at you, which occasionally happens to everyone.

I think he was putting out his hand to take the microphone, and OP just thought he wanted to shake his hand

Looks like someone's got a swelled head. Embarrassed? You should be!

Poor you, you're bad at karaoke like everybody else. This is not an FML.

80- poor you, your reading skills aren't advanced enough to comprehend what OP wrote. She was probably really good and got a little in over her head.

irishpassion16 6
KiddNYC1O 20

Some people are left speechless...

chickenflem 8

It's all good. Just hand him the microphone and walk off like a boss.

Yup, It's all about confidence! You know your awesome, just show it! Act like you don't care! Haha All I can think of when reading this is that stick man, troll, boss face lol

You just have to walk away with the smile and attitude of the "Haters Gonna Hate" stick figure.

He probably thought your cover of Lady Gaga was terrible and wanted no physical contact going on between you too.

littlemsweirdo 12

Jesus. Why the hell did I do that. The downvotes. I can here them coming. Must run. Must run!

ArmedcrackerR6 8

Armedcracker - Are you suggesting that people who sing karaoke are losers? Last I checked, karaoke is a fun way to either A) show off your singing skills and have fun or B) laugh at others who suck but still have fun singing. There's only one loser I see here.

astralvagan 20

You know what they say.... It takes one to know one. I'm willing to bet if you sing karaoke you get booed off stage

33- How does a fancy motorcycle equal a small penis?

57- because they buy them to make up for what they don't have.

No, he wasn't next. He just wanted to get the microphone away from you because you sucked.

ddeathbombb 5

A) This isn't even close to my rudest comment. B) I tend not to say stupid shit like that. C) I don't really care about thumbs (up or down). I try to say things that are amusing, and I occasionally succeed.

gmc_blossom 21

I upvote Doc's comments because they amuse me. Which is generally the reason for upvoting someone.

JOcoco 14

I usually upvote because I find the comment amusing. Except once when I was skimming & automatically thumbed up DocB. Once I noticed all I could think was, Nooo! I've become part of the horde!! D: Now I always make sure to read it first.

85-I see how you could think that, but there's a certain point in the awesomeness meter where the upvotes are not solely based on the comment.

Doc you should make a second account and do a little study see how popular you really are.

chickenflem 8

Maybe he wanted to tell everyone else how amazing you were. (:

baddawg365 0

No he wanted to let her/him know that Beyonce had the greatest karaoke of all time.

whitey53 5

Hahaha that's pretty funny actually.

pinkpixie06 11

That sounds pretty arrogant of you, OP!

Yeah, OP! How dear you think you may be good at something? Shame on you... (yes, this is sarcasm)

My bad, I knew that I just wasn't thinking! Sorry :P

#10, Arrogant to shake an extended hand? Are you unclear on the custom?

No, shaking hands is not arrogant. It's quite normal to pass the microphone to the next singer, though. If someone holds out their hand, it's one thing to shake it in confusion, but assuming they did it because they wanted to congratulate you on your performance and saying "glad you liked it" before the other person even said anything seems quite presumptuous and / or arrogant to me.

pinkpixie06 11

Thanks, Isoldael!! You explained my thinking better than I did. :)

Hiimhaileypotter 52

I've done this... 3 years ago, in my freshman journalism class, one of my friends held her hand out and I shook it, thinking that's what she wanted when she just wanted to take my paper up to turn it in for me. Needless to say, she still teases me about it. :P just laugh it off, OP. it happens :)