TFI Friday

By Anonymous - 24/05/2019 16:00

Today, I started a new job. The hours are long, but I didn't mind as I could REALLY use the overtime. Turns out, they don't pay over time. I'm just expected to go "above and beyond for the company." FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 519
You deserved it 256

Same thing different taste

Top comments

TxKitten79 10

They can't force you to work hours and not pay you.

manb91gb 15

Comments

manb91gb 15
xicor 1

No it isnt. In America, corporations abuse employees by calling them 'salary' which should mean they get paid the same no matter how much they work. Then they abuse the system and force you to work at least 40hrs despite the fact that they are legally required to pay your full salary as long as you do any work at all.

manb91gb 15

There's nothing to suggest this guy is American. Besides, if that's the case, OP should've checked before signing the ******* contract

Depends, what was in their contract? Are they salary or hourly?

Nhayaa 21

Everybody think french people are lazy and unproductive because of our labor code and our 35h/week... but at least we don't work for nothing, we get our extra hours paid thanks to that.

TxKitten79 10

They can't force you to work hours and not pay you.

Yes, they can. They’re just daring you to sue them. First, good luck getting a lawyer who’s interested in winning a few hundred or thousand dollars for you. Also, good luck finding a judge who hasn’t received campaign contributions from your company. There’s the law and the real-world enforcement of it.

bobsanction 18

The Department of Labor would certainly have a thing or two to say about it. Overtime means more taxes for the government, and you do not want to skip out paying the taxes. Government hates that.

If you are paid hourly this is illegal. Salaries then legal.

Whether it is legal in your specifc case depends on what the job is, what your duties are, and what your pay rate is. Despite what others might say here, exemption from overtime IS legal, but only under certain circumstances. According to the Fair Labor Standards Act, "bona fide executive, administrative, professional and outside sales employees" and "certain computer employees" may be considered exempt from both minimum wage and overtime pay, generally if the position is salaried instead of hourly, and if the salary is greater than $455 per week. Also, make sure you clarify with your employer what holidays they recognize and whether there is a "busy season." For example, accounting firms often do not recognize any holidays between January 1 and Memorial Day, and expect employees to work a minimum of 50 hours per week during those months.

You ought to sing nice songs like “Swing Low Sweet Chariot” and jingle your chains while you work.

I used to work for a company that didn’t pay overtime but gave the hours back in lieu, the only problem is they were always to busy to give you time back in lieu and the overtime got more and more as time went on. I stayed for 2 years and then had to quit with no job to fall back on because I was bordering on the edge of a mental breakdown from working overload. Look for a new job ASAP as it will become too much. Luckily I found a much better place but there’s few and far between

hmmbrd77 14

that's illegal unless your salary

They expect you to go above and beyond, but they won't give you the same courtesy. Funny how that works. Report them and run.

tounces7 27

Well if you're in America, you've got a lawsuit. If you live in a developing country, well, you're probably SOL.

If OP is in America and a salaried or otherwise overtime exempt worker they don’t.

TrashlifeKaylala 12

Im not sure what you do for work, but tell your bosses that the attitude they just portrayed is the very reason Steak n Shake is in debt and is currently shutting down restaurants across the country.