Respect Independence Day!

By unpatriotic - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - United States - Eugene

Today, my manager made me remove an Eiffel Tower ornament from one of my displays. Not because it didn't look good or match the theme, but because it was "disrespectful" to have it out on the 4th of July. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 993
You deserved it 8 135

Top comments

funnily enough, our most famous landmark - statue of liberty - is actually French...

Comments

Wizardo 33

Yeah people need to get over a war that happened since before they were born and in fact the Americans didn't really help in until 3 years before the finish. Seriously they only fought the Japanese whilst Britain and mainly Russia destroyed the Germans in Europe, get over that shit - A British realist admitting the truth.

What does WWII have to do with the 4th of July?--American asking a legitimate question.

WhisperSoflty 20

What are you talking about? The Fourth of July, also known as Independence Day, is the day that the thirteen colonies declared their sovereignty from royal Great Britain in 1776. This FML has ****-all to do with the Second World War. Reading comprehension, sweetie. You might want to work on yours.

Might have been a failed reply to an above post the french being removed in most wars.

ginawater19 13

Both of you are wrong, #13 was descripting World War Two, not July 4th, 1776. Completely different occurrences in history. Brit needs to read up

Wizardo 33

No I'm saying that Americans and even the British take the piss out of the French because of their supposed cowardice in wars, WWII was a big one because that's where it was really advertised world wide. I'm trying to play at the fact people and no offence, mostly Americans think that they're better than the French because of their superiority in military, but its OK, each to their own I guess.

Wizardo 33

Btw #22, my reading comprehension is fine its tour lack of comprehension of international and historical relations that's lacking here and don't call me sweetie, I'm not very big on demeaning and condescending others...

ginawater19 13

The Fourth of July is literally about signing a piece of paper. Not an all out war. People need to read

Wizardo 33

#39, *sigh* if you READ my comment properly I'm talking about international relations caused and affected by WWII, also if you read you would know that without the French, Independence Day wouldn't even exist. Read between the lines before you jump to conclusions, why else do you think everyone hates the French and call them cowards?

ginawater19 13

Whoever thumbed me down is a large idiot. Google July 4th, 1786.

ginawater19 13

#37, she wasnt making fun of you. She was making fun of the girl who asked why the hell you were describing World War Two. No sweeties in your future.

ginawater19 13

#42, I might ask what conclusion that might be. I now get the fact of why you were describing World War Two. But before it seemed like you thought those two things were the same thing. July 4th is about signing a piece of paper which was actually signed on July 2nd. The post is about July 4th after. There's no conclusions we were all just wondering why the hell you brought WWII into this. And now we know. Thank you.

Wizardo, at first I thought maybe you meant to reply to that comment about the French being written our of every war, but you've replied to your own comment several times and haven't mentioned it, and are still jawing about a war that has absolutely nothing to do with the American Independence Day. I can therefore only conclude that you are a massive twit. Next I suppose you'll be hailing Winston Churchill as a hero of the Fifth of November. Now kindly bugger off.

WhisperSoflty 20

37, no, sugartits, it's definitely your reading comprehension that needs fixing. This FML is talking about the Fourth of July, not World War Two. If you have a problem with one of the above comments referencing France's supposed lack of military prowess, maybe you should have replied to said comment instead of making a whole new comment causing you to sound like a buffoon. As for my alleged ignorance of foreign affairs and historical relations between nations, I would love it if you would find where I ever made an error in facts anywhere on this FML. But please, find factual errors, not what you view as errors based on your bias and generally cantankerous attitude.

This thread is giving me a headache. 15 comments in and I STILL have no idea what the **** is going on.

Wizardo 33

Again, I'm just voicing my opinion. Don't let your nationalism and pride cloud your judgement. All I'm saying is that views like its 'disrespectful' to have the Eiffel tower out is ridiculous and in my opinion strengthened by the fact that WWII has given a negative stereotypes to the French. tbh, I know WWII and ID Day have nothing to do with each other, but I'm saying the stereotype was fermented almost during WWII, if that makes sense. So please stop chewing on my balls, I will leave it at this no problem.

Okay, I finally figured out what all the bitching and moaning is about. Wizardo-Next time, make yourself more clear. Your point was sound, but your wording was confusing as shite. And for the love of Christ, stop thumbing up your own comments, it doesn't make your arguments look any better (or worse). Whisper-Please don't fan the flames with condescending remarks, just let your thumbs do the talking. There! Now can everyone shut the **** up?

Wizardo 33

#58, you nailed it on the head and noted about the thumbs, its more of a habit since I use it as a marker to find my comments since in the app it highlights it in blue, nonetheless, noted.

That's why the War finished so quickly because Americans joined the war

STFU, you're british so whatever you say bout good ol America is completely invalid. Land of the free, Because of the Brave.

Ginawater do everyone a favor and stop replying you idiotic twat. Thanks.

Wizardo 33

Now why did I comment about America on an American based FML on Independence Day? I don't know what I expected...

ginawater19 13

#54 AND EVERYONE ELSE: Wizardo was talking about World War Two which had nothing to do with Idependence Day. It's not ******* confusing. People clearly don't know anything about this holiday!

Ginawater19, shut your mouth. You're annoying everybody here sweetheart. Thank you, have a good Fourth of July.

ginawater19 13

I'm annoying only the people who choose to read the comments and say stupid shit like you do. And actually, background from this post anyways, I'm ******* American and ill do as I please.. Freely

Wizardo 33

Yeah that's exactly the attitude I'm talking about, just because you're from a certain country or are a certain race, follow a certain religion, have certain ideologies etc doesn't make you better or more inclined to do anything than anyone, just saying.

That's cute, Gina, and I know this may be difficult or your brain to comprehend, but the Internet exists outside of the United States. Before the rust-filled gears in your poorly-developed brain freeze on this issue, allow me to elaborate. The Internet is an entity on it's own, where websites like this exist in spite of a single country's laws, rules and regulations. In other words, your freedom of speech means shit-all here, where the moderators could just as easily ban your ass as change your comment to something only slightly less annoying and exceptionally more entertaining. And in response to your response to me, I made a comment addressing the argument that occurred above. Now I believe it would be in your best interest to abort this thread, as arguing with you-hell, arguing in general-is getting tiresome. Enjoy your fourth of July, Gina. And kindly **** off.

I guess he doesn't know that the French were allies with the rebels in the Revolutionary War and helped us win our independence. If it wasn't for France, there might not be a 4th of July.

mxij 13

Not many people hear about the battle of Chesapeake bay apparently...

Hey, in my Political Science textbook, it said there was a study in 2009 where 24% of Americans couldn't remember the country we got our independence from... so remembering the French were involved is probably something not many people know unfortunately.

Maybe I'm just naively optimistic, but that just CAN'T be right. 24% sounds WAY too high to me. I bet people deliberately give wrong answers or say they don't know just to **** with the researchers.

mxij 13

I think rocker is right, many Americans would not be able to even pass the citizenship test.

may651 14

I was waiting for someone to say that. Good history. :)

85- That is very true. I really hope it's not that high...

WhisperSoflty 20

That's dumb. The French are the reason we have The Statue of Liberty - one of the ultimate symbols of the American Dream. If your manager was really so concerned, she probably didn't know about the relationship between France and the thirteen colonies and therefore has no place to be lecturing anyone.

Ha! well, I know someone that thinks it's disrespectful that they often play "Born in the USA" on the 4th of July since the song is far from patriotic.

ginawater19 13

Might not be very patriotic but it definitely says a lot about America history which is important to any American I would assume

So is American Woman by the Guess Who and remade by Lenny Kravitz but you guys love that one

football98_fml 20

Just because her manager lacks a bit of knowledge does not mean she should quit her job.

Yeah, and I suppose you're gonna pay her rent?

where does the line start? While youre at it, pay mine too?

Just look at your manager and say you know what? You're right, then leave it there anyway.

Time to give your manager a history lesson.

Everyone suddenly becomes very patriotic when there are fireworks involved.

graceinsheepwear 33

What's funny is that most of the fireworks we use to celebrate our independence are made in China.

Wasn't there an episode of the Simpsons where someone said something along the lines of "what better way to celebrate our nation's freedom than by blowing up a small piece of it"?

graceinsheepwear 33

Just don't try that in Mexico on Cinco de Mayo.

That seems like a lot of mayonnaise. (:

graceinsheepwear 33

50, Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexican victory over France.

My bad I thought you were referring to Goya's painting, though it's "tres de mayo"...

I guess 4th of July is now the day when is disrespectful to do anything but say how great America is.

I'm pretty sure I know of propel who would take offense to that too. You can't win