Read the small print

By J-Sauce - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff - Canada - Salmon Arm

Today, a girl I like asked me to a concert, saying she had an extra ticket. I ended up being the third wheel with her and her boyfriend. I had to pay $60 for the ticket too. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 135
You deserved it 2 384

Top comments

You should have known enough about the girl to know she had a boyfriend, and when someone invites you to something like that you should clarify before hand if they want you to pay them for the ticket...

Aww, don't feel bad, you got an excuse to enjoy a concert! ^.^

Comments

It seems obvious you needed to pay for the ticket..

Aaaand the point flew right over you, didn't it?

That conniving bitch. Good sales tactic though.

I'm putting you deserved it. You should have bounced the moment you realized she went back on her offer. That is, unless it was for a band you really liked, then f*ck them and you should have spent your time enjoying the show.

saying you have an extra ticket is not the same as saying that you'll give AWAY an extra ticket. She probably intended to have him pay for the ticket the entire time.

From the way the FML was worded, OP got the notion that she was offering up the ticket.

Elisabetha Aarron 18

Well then they should've made sure Assuming things doesn't go well a lot of the tjme

Aww, don't feel bad, you got an excuse to enjoy a concert! ^.^

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

except... it is. I don't think animals do this, they were simply stating that men and women do douchy things. But yes, this is definitely a situation unique to people.

im honestly baffled why anyone is taking offense to me saying this is not unique to women.

what on earth are you even meaning? and how does saying 'this is not unique to women' offend? are rabbits out deceiving other rabbits using false romantic pretenses to make a quick buck? your attempt to clarify makes absolutely zero sense.

the real question is why they think it's not "unique to people", do they not understand the meaning of that phrase? Imagine if I said " basketball is not unique to people", that makes ZERO ******* sense, no other species on the PLANET play basketball, it IS UNIQUE TO PEOPLE. They just don't understand the phrase, and assume it's somehow offensive to women. Which it's not, it's simply a fact you stated. But, and it's just a feeling, we might have some entitled 3rd wave feminists on our hands. They generally don't listen to reason, which could very well be "unique to feminists".

Questioning what I can only assume is feminist logic can only lead to trouble. I'm also noticing any comment I make against new wave feminists is mysteriously disappearing, apparently freedom of speech only counts if you don't disagree with a certain group of people.

You should have known enough about the girl to know she had a boyfriend, and when someone invites you to something like that you should clarify before hand if they want you to pay them for the ticket...

ChopSuey444 20

I agree with the first part, but regularly "I have an extra ticket" is enough clarification as it insinuates... that she actually has an extra ticket.

CheshireHalli 19

@9: but that doesn't imply it's a free extra ticket.

It kinda does, actually... Saying you have an extra anything and asking if someone is interested generally implies that you don't want the thing to go to waste and are willing to let them have it. If you want to sell it to them you should say something like "I'm looking to sell this extra ticket" or "do you want to buy the ticket?". If someone just said "I have an extra ticket, would you like to come with me?" I would definitely assume they meant for free since they already bought the ticket.

hipposteve 21

if you like her, then enjoy her company as a friend. there's nothing wrong with that. and be a gentleman. pay your ticket. who knows, you might get along great with the fella.

ChopSuey444 20

She isn't starting out as a very good friend since she claimed she had a spare ticket, then ended up having him pay for one. Which isn't a measurement of his gentlemanly quality, even the nicest person would be upset when "free ticket" turns into "$60 ticket".

been the third wheel waaaay too many times, and sometimes even a 5th, and it's definitely no fun. Hopefully the concert was worth the money in the end!

Oops guess you read that one wrong, skipped the fine print, and signed up for the friend zone news letter. Hopefully you had fun anyways and maybe she has a single friend that's your type.

Kind of rude of her to invite you and then expect you to pay. Generally when you invite someone to do something it implies you plan to pay, unless you make it clear up front that you'd like them to foot their own bill.