Needs improvment

By AUsefulMess - 13/08/2023 21:00 - United Kingdom

Today, I broke up with my boyfriend. It isn’t acrimonious, no-one cheated, but his life will apparently “improve immeasurably” now, while mine will basically crash. I’ve spent the past 5 years working on improving as a person for him, and I thought I’d succeeded. FML
I agree, your life sucks 563
You deserved it 233

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I need more context to make an informed vote.

Some combinations just don’t work. It’s not always one person’s fault or the other - sometimes it’s just an incompatibility. OP, as bad as this probably feels, it’s better than divorce.. You will survive.

Comments

I need more context to make an informed vote.

Sooo are you going to tell us *why* it’s such a relief for him that you broke up and why you needed to improve as a person, or what?

Some combinations just don’t work. It’s not always one person’s fault or the other - sometimes it’s just an incompatibility. OP, as bad as this probably feels, it’s better than divorce.. You will survive.

Reminds me of my ex that was gonna "save soooo much more money!" after the break-up. His rent alone was the same amount as his contribution to the household expenses. Anyhow, try to not let it bother you, I know it's hard not to do that, after you tried so hard to accommodate him, but it is what it is. Some people are just insensitive assholes like that. Would you go "I'm gonna be soooo happy without you!!!!" after a break-up, TO THE PERSON you broke up with? No, cuz that's a dick move. You do that amongst friends. That he did that, says something about him. Regardless of whether it's true or not. He needed a last win at your expense. That's his problem! Don't make it yours. Move on.

Well, you did not. Sometimes when we try, we fail. Self-improvement is often a good thing, but when it comes to love, find someone who accepts you as you are.

I'm guessing he didn't feel the need to improve himself for 5 yrs for you. you should have to change to make someone else happy. he doesn't deserve you and you deserve someone better who likes you for who you are.

so you were changing everything about yourself to be what he thought was successful in life. this was bound to crash and burn. now be single and learn who you really are