By Anonymous - 24/07/2018 20:36

Today, I worked security by myself in an office, which meant I had to eat at the desk and wasn't allowed to leave. I got written up for my husband dropping off my lunch. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 687
You deserved it 362

Same thing different taste

Top comments

DraftHail614 17

How else were you gonna eat if the food wasn't brought to you?

PenguinPal3017 19

I would quit. My office allows me to do almost anything. I wouldn't put up with this unless the pay was extremely high.

Comments

DraftHail614 17

How else were you gonna eat if the food wasn't brought to you?

How about bringing it with you when you went to work? that's how most people handle it when they don't have the ability to go drive thru or whatever. Even if making up for a forgotten prepared lunch, OP is responsible for it and their choices.

Zekfen 17

Or Qua, instead of being an ass, you could realize that maybe her replacement or partner called in sick and she didn’t know it until she got in, so while she normally gets to leave the office for lunch, that one day she wasn’t able to. Secondly, what is so horrible about her husband bringing her lunch? Did she let him through security? I hope you never become anybody’s boss bc you’d be horrible at it.

This is written as if they clearly knew the expectations of the role that day. Sit in an office, don't leave your post. I highly doubt they were filling in for another person, but if they were, they are responsible for the expectations of their job no matter where they are posted... and for telling the person assigning them the post if they are not prepared for that post. I am a boss. I succeed very easily as a manager because I make expectations clear and specific and the consequences fair. Few things ruin the dynamic of a work group quite like a manager or boss making exceptions for one person's mistakes while reprimanding the same actions for others. There is a reason why rules and expectations are established, especially in security situations. Lacking knowledge doesn't excuse security violations, no matter how cruddy it seems. if being consistent and holding a worker accountable for their choices as an employee make you think I'm a potentially bad boss, I'm glad I've not employed you... because it is the people that expect exceptions that struggle with entitlement in the workplace the most, I've found. They are the people that acknowledge that they got the info but thought that this one time would be okay. after all, it's just lunch right? Except it's not when you consider what such disregard could indicate. but I digress... As long as my staff is meeting expectations and fulfilling the needs of my clients, we have a great deal of fun, with a flexible work environment. However, I don't play games. The benefit of consistency is that employees always have a way to know what to expect. If an employee of mine fails to meet expectations, they are held accountable. I'm certainly not going to apologize for expecting professionals to act as such :)

What this company did was illegal and you are blaming the worker? Shame.

What this company did was illegal and you are blaming the worker? Shame.

How do they know he wasn’t dropping off contraband to you?

PenguinPal3017 19

I would quit. My office allows me to do almost anything. I wouldn't put up with this unless the pay was extremely high.

check labor laws regarding mandatory breaks. Wouldn’t think they could work you over 4hrs w/o providing you one

My state doesn’t have any law requiring breaks, and therefore defaults to federal law - which also does not require breaks (with the exception of being granted time to pee, and some obscure conditions in ER rooms). Our office stopped giving lunch breaks to employees working a full day a couple years ago. You can work 12+ hours straight and it doesn’t even count as overtime. So I can totally believe OP’s situation.

Seriously why are you Americans not striking for beter work conditions? It's really weird what kind of things are legal in America.

Tell them he was running a security check

Well did you leave your post to meet your husband and grab it? If so, ydi

If this happened in the U.S., then what your employer did was illegal (unless your shift was 4 hours or less). Employers are required by law to provide rest breaks for shifts over 4 hours and a lunch break for shifts over 6 hours. If you are in the U.S., take a copy of that write up and file a complaint with your local labor board.

Cannnabis 2

She’s just sitting in a room, she can take breaks whenever, just can’t leave the room. She should have brought her lunch with her. That’s how most security jobs work.

Cannnabis 2

Why not be prepared and bring a lunch ...