He can run, but he can't hide

By Depressedegg - 08/03/2017 18:00

Today, my toddler realised that my pregnancy means I can't move easily anymore. He celebrated his freedom by doing everything he's not allowed to, and staying just outside my reach at all times. He loves his new game, and it looks like he's not going to stop anytime soon. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 688
You deserved it 819

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You could try the "ignore the bad behavior" thing to see if he get bored, or start taking away his toys one by one every time he does something he isn't supposed to. If you do the second one, tell him that's the rule. Don't give them back until he does chores to earn them back.

TabooSushi 24

Sounds like it's time to start taking toys and movies and all his other favorite things away until he learns that he is not going to get away with that just because you can't physically stop him.

Comments

You could try the "ignore the bad behavior" thing to see if he get bored, or start taking away his toys one by one every time he does something he isn't supposed to. If you do the second one, tell him that's the rule. Don't give them back until he does chores to earn them back.

Definitely don't ignore the behaviour, it just allows him to do what he wants without consequences and reinforces the bad behaviour. I agree that you should be taking away his favourite toys, tv shows, or screen time, as he continues. Let him know that you may be slower than him right now, but you're still his mother and the parent, and there are still consequences for his bad behaviour. Depending on his age, if worse comes to worse and the taking of toys away isn't working. Put him on a timeout in his room (empty it of any toys or things he can destroy) and hold the door shut if he continues to try and open it. And most importantly, always follow through with what you say you'll do, or else he'll call your bluff and continue to get away with stuff.

Toddlers don't usually understand consequences like that. Their minds can't piece together abstract concepts like that.

Toddlers are very capable of putting together that doing x means that they lose a toy, IF you explain it to them. Treating toddlers like they're stupid and incapable of learning instead of not knowing things yet doesn't do them any favors. Also, this kid made the leap between "mom can't move as fast" and "I can do stuff I KNOW she doesn't want me to do" so he's probably capable of understanding the connection in the punishment.

alternative-facts 6

Try a choke collar and a leash... or maybe a shock collar?

That could damage his throat if used too extensively. Shame on you.

Wait a minute, you're not against the idea of them having an electric collar on a toddler but against them using it too much?

Shock collars are considered abusive for DOGS by most decent people that know of them. They would sure as hell be considered abusive to use on a kid, even without considering that they could do permanent damage to the kid's throat, nervous system, and possibly brain. Hell, the kid could bite his tongue off and bleed to death.

Shock collars definitely can be a little harsh for dogs, my family uses an underground fence with shock collars to keep our dogs on the property, ours have never been an issue as we only used very mild shocks, just enough to deter them. Besides, some dogs are smart, I know of a few who would sit at the border of such fences so the collar sent warning beeps without shocking, and they'd sit until the collar died, and then left the property

well gotta admire he is a clever little fella lol

TabooSushi 24

Sounds like it's time to start taking toys and movies and all his other favorite things away until he learns that he is not going to get away with that just because you can't physically stop him.

CyberHex305 17

You got a little evil genius right there, can't imagine what he'll do in high school

Get yourself a nanny to help you around till the delivery or maybe until you're physically fit to handle both the children. If it that is not affordable, you could ask your mom or friends to help when it gets too bad. Take care OP. Best wishes on your new baby.

Cut him some slack and spend extra time with him. It probably has to do with the imminent arrival of his baby brother or sister.

lukcy_basartd 11

Ha, your baby boy is my hero! On the flipside I agree with taking some toys away as his misbehavior continues, he's gotta know that Mommy's got tactics too.

Have your husband punish the little twerp when he gets back from work

Are you really sure you want that second one? ;)