Happy Birthday

By qwerty6 - 30/09/2009 06:17 - United Kingdom

Today, it was my birthday. I asked my mom that instead of a present if she would make a donation to my favourite charity. She said that this wasn't a "proper" present for a 15-year-old girl. Instead she got me a kettle because "ours had broke and you make the most tea in the family." FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 375
You deserved it 5 526

Same thing different taste

Top comments

__no_one__ 0

Sell the kettle on ebay and donate the money. No, seriously, this is a bitch move. Why completely ignore someone's wish, give them something completely unrelated and less thoughtful, when the wish wasn't financially unreasonable or in another way unrealistic? And before the "be grateful you got anything, the poor kids in Nigeria don't even have food" comments start rolling in: Yeah, getting a kettle is better than nothing. Not getting something she asked for, which needn't be more expensive than a kettle, being dismissed with a statement like 'this isn't a proper present for you' and then getting a piece of household equipment isn't exactly great though. If the mother had said she didn't agree with the goals of this particular charity or whatever, I'd said 'fine', but this reason of dismissal is just.... I don't know. Not nice. And buying something the family needs anyway and disguising it as a gift isn't exactly loving and thoughtful either. But maybe that's just me. If you lived on your own, fine, but ... yeah, not like this I guess.

Xx_f_us_all 0

wow. all the tea you want now lol

Comments

i got a sewing machine for my 16th birthday. i'm not even into sewing or designing clothes or anything. it was a nice thought though, at least i'll have one now forever. (or, well, until it breaks :) i'm interested as to what charity she wished to donate the money to.

Me too! I pretended I liked it but it's still in a box under my bed...

King_of_Kings 3

What the **** is this world coming to? Come on, how selfish can some people be? we all know that this bitch just wanted a new kettle and didn't want to look selfish by getting it for herself. so she used her what seems to be an awesome human being of a daughter to benefit herself. **** YOU MOM!!

My dad did something almost exactly like what happened to OP. He brought me a DVD player for my 15th birthday, even though I didn't want a DVD player.. He only bought it because the one in the living room was ******. So I opened this DVD player and I said thanks, and then he asked when we could hook it up in the living room, and I said that it was going in my room. And now apparently I'm selfish because I wanted to put MY DVD player in my room. Some parents are ******. Such as my dad and OP's mom.

Hah, my dad did it too. He got me Death Note DVDs every time a new one came out, because HE liked Death Note (not saying I hated it, but I wasn't really so incredibly interested I thought we should get DVDs). Of course when I said something about it he went off his rocker and accused me of being a greedy/selfish/hateful bitch and the like. I tried to tell him I really don't care if he buys things for himself, I just don't want him saying they're for me when they're really not, but eh, parents.

The good news is that your dad bought you a hooker for your birthday. Since you really weren't able to use her, he did. The even better news is that when he was boning her, he called her by your name. Isn't that sweet? Happy birthday!

Wow, what a selfish jerk. My dad always shares his hookers with me.

palleas, Go check out what I wrote about the breast milk one. You be sending those nice, young men in their clean, white coats to come and take me away, ha-HA!

Dumb@$$ mom - try buying friggin' kitchen appliances for your wife on her birthday and see what side of your head it ends up bouncing off of. Agree with the others - donate it to your favorite charity. Maybe if you go to a church thrift store you can trade it for an old beat up POS kettle & every time you use it you'll remember what you did - as will mom.

visage 0

damn tree hugging hippies... be a normal teen and be happy with what you're given!

omg i know what you mean. All i've ever wanted was a tea kettle but i never got one, but that doesn't matter because I'm a normal teen and I'm happy with whatever present i got.

What normal teen would be happy for a tea kettle as a birthday present?

mekeskidi_fml 0

For her birthday, buy her a mug with your first name on it.

I think your mother might be my dad... Or raised by the same group. I hope its the later.

You deserve it for being a careing person. let people take care of themselves. they are too lazy to work to get what they need.

yes, because disabled war veterans are just lazy, they got shot in the knees cause the dont wanna work when they get back...It's a conspiracy douche