Culture clash

By lmaofuck - 26/05/2016 01:06 - United States - Westerville

Today, I had a guest at my house. I stood up to shake her hand and kiss her on both cheeks, which is common in my culture. When she was kissing my cheeks, I went the opposite way from her and I ended up kissing her on the lips instead. Her eyes went big and I ran away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 614
You deserved it 1 406

Same thing different taste

Top comments

where did you run to if you were at your house? why would you run if you were at your own house? so many questions, such small fml character limits.

I considered that, #16, but went ahead and made the joke anyway. It'd be a shame to let reality get in the way of a good—well, almost adequate—joke.

Comments

Mathalamus 24

nice. maybe tell her that it was a mistake. tactfully.

Gotta love the obligatory obvious FML advice. "Tell her" – So throwing paper airplanes at her head with written explanations is out of the question. "tactfully" – And to think OP might've talked in a series of grunts or stood with their back to her, flailing their arms!

Mathalamus 24

actually, doing that might be more fun. once. :P

metalcrazed 21

He might,he did run away before explaning.

This is why, on the rare occasions I do stuff like that, I back my neck WWAAAAY back so I can see which way they're going and avoid this. O.O

Makes me think you're a giraffe if you're able to back your neck up waaaaay back lol ;)

I promise, I am no giraffe, just flexible. ;) and used to bending my neck in weird ways from swim team O.o XD

where did you run to if you were at your house? why would you run if you were at your own house? so many questions, such small fml character limits.

OP unintentionally kissed someone - probably in front of people.

Aww lol why'd yu run away tbh i would to lmao but how did u miss her cheek

If you read the FML, it says exactly how they missed her cheek.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Maybe they've immigrated there or were brought up with another culture. Just because they live in Ohio, doesn't mean they can't have customs and traditions..

I considered that, #16, but went ahead and made the joke anyway. It'd be a shame to let reality get in the way of a good—well, almost adequate—joke.

Haha that's not custom for Ohio. Especially up north. We are cold hearted and freaked out about touching people.

So just because they were in Ohio means they can't have their own culture? they could be of a different ethnicity

Indianboy9321 25

It was a joke, as the author of the comment has already started, so relax. Don't be one of those people that immediately takes offense to every little quirk and comment, sheesh!

We can get real weird up here in Ohio

Cultures don't have national borders.. I know that Arabs have cheek-kissing as a custom, so I'd assume OP was of Arab origin and living in the US. On a side note, good luck with Trump...

Though it's typically not a thing in United States culture, there are a lot of different kinds of people with a lot of different kinds of cultures in the melting pot. we're a nation made up of immigrants and Native Americans

just because OP is from Ohio doesn't mean they were born there or in America. They could be an immigrant or they were raised to greet people that way. My best friend is from South America and when he greets me he kisses me on the cheek because that's his culture. Yes, he was born here.

Well, it's the fifth time somebody's posted something like that. Let's see if we can go for six! If anybody needs help, there are already five comments that make the same point. Feel free to draw inspiration from them.

Whatever you say, #44. I haven't heard any complaints from the kids I pick up in my van.

#6, They aren't creepy. I thought there was something wrong with Americans when I first went there because they don't act like people from my country. I got used to it.

You live in ohio what ******* culture

zeffra13 31

A person's culture isn't limited to their residence.

There's a difference between a person's "culture," and the place/country that they live. For example, a person can be Mexican and have the customs of that culture, but still live in a place outside of Mexico, like the United States or a European country. Most people have a different cultural background than the place that they live in.

The location of where people live doesn't necessary mean that's where they're from... I'm an Asian living in Florida, and I still stick to my Asian cultures lol

Are you middle eastern? I am, and we do this occasionally. This needs a follow up.

nityasomaiya 46

I'd think that if it was your culture, you'd be used to doing so. I wonder how you'd make such a mistake. Maybe she was just pretty and you internally just wanted it....