Creativity stifled

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I was at my psychologist's. We were talking about creative outlets and I told him that I wanted to start playing Dungeons and Dragons again. He starts chuckling, and then says, "Oh, you were serious." FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 264
You deserved it 22 425

Top comments

Dungeons and dragons is well good, ignore him and play :)

Why do I feel like smacking OP in the face with the Sceptre of Reality +4?

Comments

ArtsyBlackSheep 0

Dungeons and Dragons keeps me sane, play away!!!!

RedPillSucks 31

Oh, that was you? So sorry. I get all my patients mixed up. How is a computer role playing game a creative outlet? You need to spend more time on the UTS (Universal Time Sucker) FML where the trolls talk back and the bastards strike you with their +4 mace of reality.

DasHaas 9

Dungeons and Dragons does not involve a computer. It's a table-top roleplaying game. There's a few computer games that have been inspired by it though.

RedPillSucks 31

Actually I've played DnD, as well as being DM. No research is necessary, and like #24 says, the DM is the creative one. The other people, not so much. There are actually computer versions of the game, as well as its spinnoffs. Lighten up dude. If you want to play DnD, go right ahead. No need to get butt hurt about it.

Actually there's the classic old school D&D as well ad D&D online AND the board game version. The classic has an entire series of book to work from with new ones coming out regularly.

@34: Playing is VERY creative, if you have a good DM. A good DM will work with your characters to enhance the game, making you an active participant in the creation. I've seen several games where the DM's entire plot changed based on the actions of the players. The players used lateral thinking and a little bit of luck to completely sidestep the planned encounters. If that's not creativity (on the player's parts), I don't know what is.

If you've really been a DM, then you know that rule #1 of worldbuilding is that you don't create a quest-line, you create a world for your players to inhabit. If the players want to invest the time and energy in making an interesting PC to run, then they can absolutely be creative in terms of how they role-play every given situation and how they situate themselves and interact with the world around them. Seriously, if you don't role-play at all in D&D, you're missing two thirds of the fun of it. Each game should be well more than dungeon-crawling and hack-'n'-slash dice rolling. As a smart player (and with a challenging DM), you should be exercising just as much creativity as your DM/GM is. Sure, if your DM just gives you wave after wave of enemy, it's lame. But if you can find some really good hooks, and have to think laterally to navigate your way through both physical and sociopolitical traps just to survive the world—let alone succeed—then you're doing it right.

That's some nice backpedaling there. Go ahead. Show me where to find a computer game called "D&D". Not one based on D&D rules or systems. The poster mentioned D&D, not any of those. While you hunt futilely for that, we'll all be taking in amusement at your attempts to pointlessly salvage your image somewhere that nobody even really cares that much.

Official website for Dungeons and Dragons online is ddo.com There's also a platform called Open RPG that you can install that allows people who play old school to connect in online so they can play it on their computers without having to get together in person.

I think the problem that most people are having is that when one says "D&D," one does not mean Dungeons & Dragons Online (the MMO), or Neverwinter Nights, or Baldur's Gate, or Icewind Dale, or even the client that allows for games to be played online. One means the paper-and-pencil RPG, unless they specify otherwise. It just doesn't make sense to refer to "D&D" and "computer game" as one and the same.

play minecraft instead. lots more creative :D

You're a loser and someone told you? This is dumb.

WickedPixie 0

Perdix, D&D has nothing to do with your sex life. I play D&D and I have sex more times a week than sessions of D&D I play a month. It's not only for the socially inept and socially awkward. OP, it's definitely a creative outlet and you can meet some awesome people that way. Say to hell with your shrink and enjoy the game.

well said as i play and have a great sex life too :)

That's a shitty psychologist. Chuckling at you for playing a game? That's ridiculous. Time for a new psychologist. It's a good way for many people to express their creativity and release stress.

I say forget your psychologist's negative judgment on the matter. Nerd it up, OP! Start playing D&D again if it's what makes you happy.

WickedPixie 0

Perdix, D&D has nothing to do with your sex life. I play D&D and I have sex more times a week than sessions of D&D I play a month. It's not only for the socially inept and socially awkward. OP, it's definitely a creative outlet and you can meet some awesome people that way. Say to hell with your shrink and enjoy the game.

Hm... You know, now that I think about it, I've always had an interest in D&D. I even knew some D&D players back in 8th grade. Even though they were the most stereotypical D&D freaks you'd ever see, they looked like they had fun