Confused

By caseyl - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff

Today, I was talking to a friend about the US presidential election and mentioned the UK. She got really confused and told me she'd always thought they were the same country. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 306
You deserved it 718

caseyl tells us more.

Finland. Can't blame the education, my friend is the kind that chooses to forget everything after passing the exams...

Top comments

Oh come on, everyone knows that UK is just short for "you know". As in "you know, that one country..."

Comments

I need to know, what country do you live in?

Finland. Can't blame the education, my friend is the kind that chooses to forget everything after passing the exams...

Yeah but isn't that a little too forgetful? :P

HighasaCloud 46

Does your friend live in colonial times?

Oh come on, everyone knows that UK is just short for "you know". As in "you know, that one country..."

Dodge4x4Ram 46

I can see the confusion, both countries share United.

Iwannarock1 19

This is why so many people get confused between the US and the UAE... > . >

Isn't the U.K. That area in the northeast with Boston as the capital?

No, that is called New England. The UK consists of Britain, Scotland,Wales, and Northern Ireland.

It's actually England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Britain is the name of the largest island in the group (to be exact, Great Britain), not one of the countries. The other islands/island groups are called Éire (Ireland), the Scilly Isles (off the coast of England), The Hebrides (west coast of Scotland) and the Northern Isles (north of Scotland). You then have the Channel Isles and the Isle of Man, which are both Crown Dependencies and are not technically part of the UK. I may have missed some islands as we have over 200 of them. But those are the main groups anyway.

In most countries people know UK as England or Britain and I can sense the confusion. But I can not understand how most people in US can not even name 50 country.

To be fair, the states and state capitols take up a lot of real estate in the ol' noodle!

Bigdawg42 8

I used to think that, when I was a little kid...