By schoolsucks - 10/03/2015 14:45 - United States - Aurora

Today, the principal of the school I teach at told me she's not interested in re-hiring me because sometimes I wear a hoodie. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 541
You deserved it 6 297

TeachAllTheMath tells us more.

TeachAllTheMath 19

OP here, two years later I am still working at the same school (in my beloved hoodies). The principal that told me this was not renewed for the following year, so luckily our head of school valued competent teachers over well dressed ones. I work at a charter school who encourages teachers to dress comfortably so we can go outside to play soccer, or get on the floor to do small groups, and I was in “dress code” according to the crew handbook, the principal was just a snob.

Top comments

It's a shame that people like this are in charge of hiring those teaching others.

It depends on the context. If the OP works in a private school, then maybe they are preferred wearing uniforms. Sometimes some schools want more professional outfits. :/ I'm sorry for the job loss.

Comments

hippodankamus 22

I agree with the comments, she needs to be reported. She can't possibly deny you employment based on hoodies.

@13 Well in some cases you can be denied. Some schools have a teacher/educator dress code. I personally don't agree with it but it's there.

Not only can she be denied the employment, it's justified if there's a dress code. Besides that, it's unprofessional for a teacher, who is supposed to be a person of authority and an example to the students, to wear lounge wear at work.

Must be an excuse for something else, sorry to hear that tho :/

Hm. At my public high school, teachers had a semi-formal dress code, and were only permitted to wear jeans on Fridays. But if there is no mention of this or if it's not written down, that can't be a legitimate reason because you weren't violating any dress codes. In the meantime, if you really want the position, fight hard for it.

kittykath32 22

As a teacher our outfits always have to be business professional and never less than business casual on Fridays, but that is ridiculous that you're losing your job over a hoodie! Take it up with the superintendent because there should have at least been a warning or two over this.

The school I taught at had a teacher dress code. Close-toed shoes, no shorts, gentlemen must wear collared shirts, and jeans only on Fridays. I thought it was reasonable. And I imagine if I'd broken the rules consistently, I'd be non-renewed too. It's a job, and that means look at least a little professional. Of course, the principal should've given at least one warning before the firing, but if she did and you kept wearing them, YDI.

Teachers association prevents that. Correct me if I'm wrong

Do you have to wear hoodies? I mean, you can't do anything other than stop wearing a hoodie.. sorry OP.

hoosiergirl94 31

People should be able to wear whatever they want outside of work/school. And that's not even inappropriate. It's just a sweatshirt.

1dvs_bstd 41
ajs1987 15

please thumb this reply up, but not too far up