By MymB612 - 24/09/2013 11:15

Today, yet again, I got to my desk at work at 8 AM to find my laptop turned on and porn sites opened. Weird porn sites. I have no idea who is doing this, or how they have access to my office, or how they got my login password. HR thinks I'm making this up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 333
You deserved it 3 580

MymB612 tells us more.

Hey everyone, OP here :) Thanks for the funny comments, it IS a weird situation, you have no idea what it's like to try to convince the HR lady that "**** site were appearing on my desktop and I have no idea who is doing it or how it's being done" :P Let me clear a few things up (since the debates were polarized around change your password / install nanny cam / take laptop home): 1- Our login passwords are company issued and the IT change them every 6 months. If I want to change it I have to submit a formal request to the HR department, and since the lady didn't believe me back then, it wasn't an option to change it. 2- I did think about the nanny cam and wanted to get one so i could catch the culprit but the situation was solved before i had a chance to do that. 3- About taking the laptop home, not an option since they are extremely stingy and attached to their stuff (we actually have to send a friggin' email if we want pens or paper...) so they would have had that "HOW DARE SHE" look if i had suggested it :P Turns out the HR department got another complaint of the same nature from an employee from another floor, and since there were now two complaints they decided to investigate, and lo and behold, the most typical of twists... IT WAS THE JANITOOOOR They haven't said much yet, like about how he got the passwords (i'm guessing mopping behind us while we log in or something, we never really thought to notice if he was looking) and obviously he had keys. Still don't know why he picked our laptops, or why he didn't just look for **** elsewhere :/ or why he didn't just close the windows when he's done or whatever... Hopefully we'll find out more. So there you go :)

Top comments

Lookonthesunnysi 10

Well, I think I'd be sterilizing my laptop and everything around it :-P

Comments

a nanny cam would work best but i would be scared of what you may see

Most work places have cameras, checking them is the only logical solution.

skyeyez9 24

Time to buy some hidden cameras.

It's a laptop. Maybe take it home with you at night? Is it really that hard?? YDI

It is if company policy doesn't allow for it.

Laptops doesn't really make sense. If they can't be brought other places, it's more expensive & worse quality to use laptops.

"I don't know... How they have access to my office." I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say she does lock her office.

I think it's time to change your password and if you don't have surveillance in your office then you need to add some.

It might be someone in your IT section remotting in to mess with you. Completely shut off your computer before heading home.

captainmpg 9

First, report it to HR to cover your butt, because that is technically harassment. Second, have IT change your password and then you will narrow it down to the IT group if it happens again...

Not if his computer has a keylogger in it. The password would be picked up when he typed it in to log back in.

captainmpg 9

Very true. The main thing is to let HR know so that he isn't accused of doing it himself...until they can get to the root of the issue. I stand corrected on the IT thing :)

graceinsheepwear 33

HR is doing it! edit: late. oops