By VampObsessed - 05/01/2013 05:30 - United States - Dallas

Today, when I got home I noticed a statue of a gnome sitting next to the door. I've had an intense phobia of gnomes since I was a child, and I can't bring myself to walk past it. It's been half an hour and I'm still standing outside. I can see my dad through the window laughing and waving. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 191
You deserved it 8 740

VampObsessed tells us more.

VampObsessed 16

OP here. My key only works on the front lock so I couldn't use any other doors and our windows don't operate to allow anyone in. I had to call my boyfriend to come over and move it for me so I could get in. Recently the spare bedroom I workout in has been overtaken by gnomes and I've opened my bedroom door to a gnome in the hallway. He even put it in the shower. This is not a good way to help me get past my phobia.

Top comments

Meenah_fml 4

Careful. Beyond that door is gno man's land.

Have you tried a window? Or at least a broom to push it aside?

Comments

saltycookies 5

Show that little bastard he's not gonna push you around and blast him to pieces with a 12 gauge

jazzmancarron 11

wow your dad's a dick. go through the back door or a window and kick him in the balls. then step on his balls repeatedly while he's down.

What did you do to him for him to do that to you?

Back door? Or window maybe? There has to be more than one entrance to your house.

dontpanic_fml 32

No there doesn't; there is exactly one entrance to our house

Holy cow! I thought I was the only one afraid of gnomes.

Sorry, but get some courage together, wait till your dad is watching, pick it up and smash it on the ground.

That's not how phobias work. It's a real mental health condition. What next, are you going to tell someone to get over Alzheimer's?

Someone with a phobia can't just spend 10 odd minutes getting some courage, and then be-able to touch the thing that they have a phobia of.

Yes, it was a bit much for me to expect OP to touch the gnome. But you and the other commenter seem to be assuming no-one can ever change a phobia. Most if us, as children, had irrational fears that, as adults, we can now work to get rid of. And not everyone who describes their fear as a phobia has a medical condition that requires the help of a professional. Some people are just wussies.

I'm not assuming that. I do think that people get overcome their phobias. Who says OP isn't working to get rid of the phobia? Or says that OP has the time or/and resources to get help? Some people do exaggerate about fears, others don't. If OP says they have a phobia, I'm going to be more inclined to think that they do have a phobia, instead of assuming that they're not telling the truth.