By fireenginemad - 10/02/2013 06:08 - United States - Vancouver

Today, my roommate found an eviction notice on our door for unpaid rent. Our apartment building caught fire and we haven't been living there for well over a month because it was legally unlivable. Today was our first day back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 319
You deserved it 2 172

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Pretty sure that's not going to hold up in any court in the universe.

That burns. Things could get pretty heated when you try and fight it, but maybe they'll fire the apartment manager and you can have your home back!

Comments

countryrose92 23

*If* you had renters insurance then the insurance should have paid for your other housing and stuff and possibly even that months rent. If not I would take it to the landlord then to court cuz that's bull.

Hmm in The Netherlands the law protects the tenants. This means that you can't be evicted unless ordered by a judge and if the property is inhabitable, for instance because of a fire, the landlord should provide temporary housing. So you would keep on paying the rent because you get a different property until the other property becomes habitable again. Or in case of severe damage it might be permanent. That did also mean that squatters couldn't be evicted. Fortunately that loophole is patched with a recent law change. Don't know how it is done in America, but just to give you an idea how other countries arrange these things. Still sucks for OP though. I'm actually curious if the landlord provided them with temporary housing, in which case the rent is still due.

It's much the same here that's why this story stinks! There's more to it than posted here!

The actual question here is did the apartment originally catch fire because of something the OP and their roommate did or was it random? If it was something the OP and the roommate did then I think that the landlord is fully entitled to ask for the rent for the month that the apartment was unlivable. If such is the case OP then you and your roommate deserve it because you shouldn't have known that because you caused the apartment to unlivable for a month you would still have to pay for it. If that's not the case then FYL and I hope you either manage to fight it or find a better place that's cheaper.

I would hazard to guess that OP and roommate aren't arsonists.

demonwolfmaster 26

It says the apartment building, not their apartment.

Just because it says apartment building doesn't mean that it wasn't their fault. It being their fault wouldn't mean that they were arsonists either. I once lived in an apartment building where the apartment next to me went up in flames taking a large portion of the building with it because the guy who lived there got drunk then fell asleep on his couch leaving bacon cooking in the kitchen. It wasn't intentional but it was still his fault. There is a middle ground between not their fault and arson.

You might want to check your contract. As much as it would suck, your landlord may be within his rights. If I lease a car and it stops working or I/someone damages it, I'm still responsible for the payments regardless if it is drivable or not.

thatsucks4you 7

A car is not the same as an apartment.

DumbingofAmerica, You're absolutely right! Why do people thumb down the correct answer? I don't get it!

If you lease a car (or rent an apartment) and it becomes unusable through no fault of your own, then it is the owners responsibility. If you cause the car/apartment to become unusable, then it is your responsibility. Given that the whole building caught fire, it's likely that it's not OP's fault. Therefore, unless their landlord was providing temporary accommodation, OP cannot be made to pay rent, or be evicted for not paying it.

One is still responsible for making payments while any vehicle or dwelling is being repaired regardless of who's at fault. A landlord is NOT responsible for finding temporary housing for residents, insurance is. And by not paying rent, the landlord has every right to evict someone.

this isn't a car, you are comparing apples and oranges

caligirllife 11

Contact your local landlord-tenant association to find out what the specific regulations are in your area and how to most easily fight this. (For instance, things might be simpler under your local rules if you send a certified letter contesting it within a certain number of days.) Either way, you obviously have a case. Good luck, OP!

kittycat2007 18

call your local news stations and let the public know how crappy they are. The public loves something to be outraged about. while your at it post a edited copy on facebook n what happened and let it go viral. :)