By Well, shit - 18/01/2016 22:04 - United States - San Francisco

Today, my parents forced me to write a thank you letter to my uncle who passed away a week after Christmas. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 204
You deserved it 1 303

Same thing different taste

Top comments

that is so cruel and weird. sorry for your loss.

Maybe they thought it would help you in some way, but they shouldn't have forced you.

Comments

that is so cruel and weird. sorry for your loss.

My guess they think it is a way to grieve.. at least it might be for them.

Maybe they thought it would help you in some way, but they shouldn't have forced you.

Did they think you were rude to him before he died and that this would help you or something? It sounds like they probably had some weird way of thinking this would be helpful/therapeutic for you, but it's still awkward and weird to be forced to do that. Writing letters to people that have died (or letters that you'll never actually send to a living person) can actually be therapeutic and helpful, but being forced to do it when it's not something you want to do kind of defeats the purpose.

"Dear Uncle, thank you for dying before Christmas."

fotomiep 7

51 weeks before Christmas. Try reading again.

MamaChey 24

Hey #8...isn't NOW 51 weeks before Christmas???

fotomiep 7

#14 I don't know when you celebrate Christmas, but where I come from it sure isn't 51 weeks from now. Besides, my convent was aimed at #6 who said he died before Christmas when op says he passed away a week after...

MonstreBelle 28

18- It's not very nice to aim convents at people. Think of all of the nuns that could be killed from convent aiming!

**** that. Everyone grieves in their own way. You can't force someone to grieve how you think 'they should'

Exactly. I don't know how old OP is but I'm gonna guess old enough to process the situation on their own.

ColonelCusswords 24

"It's just the whole principle of the thing..."

I guess he still exists .... Somewhere.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Well I'm so sorry for your loss..... But maybe you could put it on his grave? Unless he's been cremated......

You can still have a grave for someone whose been cremated.