By MisterGasMoney - 13/04/2014 17:08 - United States - Poughkeepsie

Today, my nephews discovered how to trick my washing machine into starting up while the door is still open. My laundry room is now flooded, and their mom refuses to accept any responsibility for it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 907
You deserved it 3 877

MisterGasMoney tells us more.

My laundry room has been paid for, not by their mom, but by her husband, who I've known since middle school. I guess one of the kids told him about it, and I got a text apologizing and saying he would cover it! Problem Solved!

Top comments

Bad parenting at its finest. Be glad that you were raised better than those kids.

skittyskatbrat 19

good to know :) Parents are responsible for damages caused by their kids. It'll be interesting in ten years or so when she decides that she doesn't have to pay for the damage the kids did while driving.....

Comments

Kids can be deceptively clever...and not always for the better. (A poem by saint Jupiter lol)

never have them over again. decent poam btw #1.

Bad parenting at its finest. Be glad that you were raised better than those kids.

AnOriginalName 19

Hold up. "Bad parenting?" If those kids are old enough to figure out how to screw up a washing machine, they're old enough to deal with the consequences. The kids' parents shouldn't accept responsibility for the kids for their whole lives.

But they probably aren't old enough to pay for it.

Durantye 8

Do tell me how a child would 'take responsibility' for possibly hundreds if not thousands of dollars in damages? I'm pretty sure no amount of 'lawn mowing' will do it. Parents are responsible for their children 150% till they turn 18. Which I doubt very seriously the nephews are 18+.

AnOriginalName 19

Paying for what? Are they now incapable of some physical labor and can't clean out the laundry room and restore the washing machine to its original settings? If the floor is damaged, it's not too difficult to learn how to replace a floor.

kingdomgirl94 29

water damage can be severe, and fun fact: even doing repairs yourself requires materials, and materials cost money. The parents should pay for damages, and punish the kids however they see fit for costing them however much money.

Cwizer 17
thatgirlincali 13

Your sister sounds delightful, letting your nephews do that.

The father could be her brother actually

AnOriginalName 19

Makes sense, #9. I hear the military likes to deal with unruly recruits by putting them through harsh physical training, otherwise known as wringing them out and hanging them up to dry.

I sense a couple of future engineers in the making!

They're children. They will be mischievous for a good portion of their lives, it's inevitable. Unfortunately for OP, they modeled that with her possessions. I don't think parenting has a lot to do with it. Regardless, FYL, OP. Hope this gets worked out fairly. :)

Parenting has everything to do with it. Teaching your kids to respect other peoples things! Hate to see your kids.

Kids will do what they want, especially in pairs, when no one is looking - no matter what their parents teach them.

It is irrelevant if the children will inevitably screw something up. It's still the responsibility of the parent to take responsibility for their kid, and that means paying for any mistake they make. This is a perfect opporunity to parent as well. Without consequences, the children will believe they can get away with anything.

ZY1431 24

thats when u beat the piss out out of em. they will learn one way or another.

I have 4 siblings and we all turned out fine with little to no beatings. I previously read a comment saying to pepper spray kids which seems too extreme. Kids are always going to test limits. My mom is a very laid back mom, so obviously I have different views on parenting. That does not mean my kids will turn out to be little hellions. You can teach manners with or without enforcement, but they're still going to occasionally act out and cause a little trouble.

Pepper spraying a kid for punishment "seems" to extreme? You need to reevaluate how to treat kids, and no that does not involve pepper spray, ever.

Well obviously it is extreme. However, everybody has different views on parenting, and whoever had commented pepper spray was the answer, was a firm believer in it. Do you have to be so rude about that though? Calm down.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

While long-term effects of pepper spray haven't really been researched effectively, it's definitely dangerous. It's caused death in rare cases. Whoever thinks it's appropriate to pepper spray children in punishment needs serious help.

I'd whip my kid's behind if he did that to me, let alone anybody else.

My laundry room has been paid for, not by their mom, but by her husband, who I've known since middle school. I guess one of the kids told him about it, and I got a text apologizing and saying he would cover it! Problem Solved!

skittyskatbrat 19

good to know :) Parents are responsible for damages caused by their kids. It'll be interesting in ten years or so when she decides that she doesn't have to pay for the damage the kids did while driving.....

#21's question is completely relevant. If they were in OP's care and under their supervision then the kids mother/father isn't obligated to pay because OP should have been watching them more closely. However, if the mother/father were there visiting and let the boys wonder off then they would be held accountable.

SarahSehhati 40

#85 you are absolutely right and I do not know why you are being down voted.

Were you supervising said children or was your sister visiting. If you were in charge I see your sister's point of view...