By holluphollup - 01/08/2016 18:01 - United States - Mineola

Today, my mom told me that she wanted the whole family to move to Guatemala. I told her, as nice and calmly as I could, that this was an awful idea. She is now furious with me because I don't want to move to Guatemala. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 380
You deserved it 946

holluphollup tells us more.

OP here. I'm here to explain this a little better. Ok so first off, I'm under 18 so therefore I can't leave. Second, my mother wants to do this because she wants to be a midwife, and Guatemala has cheap midwifery classes and programs. You might say she's doing this to help us financially, but my dads a doctor so that takes care of itself. Also, my mom has horrible back problems. At times she can barely move without hurting. If she's like this, then how will she be able to perform her job well? ( Surgery isn't an option because everyon we've tried has failed). I'm 17 and I've been in a small town where everybody knows everybody. I'm at the top of my class, and I have a real shot into getting into a prestigious university. I also have very deep connections with the people here. I don't want to throw this away. I don't mean to be rude and thwart my moms dreams, but it's just not what's best right now in my opinion. Hope this answered a lot of your questions. Also, thanks for all the support I really appreciate it. :)

Top comments

You have every right to be upset at something that would so drastically effect your life! I really don't understand these other comments. If your mom is determined to move, maybe try and find other living arrangements with a friend or extended family?

I really find it hard to judge here with no background info, but seriously, Guatemala? Please OP, can you explain why your mum wanted to move there in the first place? Does she have a job offer there, is she from Guatemala originally...? What's up with that?

Comments

Trust me, don't do it. My mom wanted to move back to the Dominican Republic (another Latino third-world country). I reluctantly agreed thinking that she only wants the best for us. Turns out we both deeply regret it (this country is such shit, man). She can't return for lack of a green card (she entered legally, but overstayed her visit and is now in the process of getting one) and I can't return because there is nobody I know who can take me in. If you move to Guatemala you will regret it. Moving to another country is a huge life decision and going to a third-world country after being born and raised in a first-world country is emotionally crippling. It isn't worth it.