By holluphollup - 01/08/2016 18:01 - United States - Mineola

Today, my mom told me that she wanted the whole family to move to Guatemala. I told her, as nice and calmly as I could, that this was an awful idea. She is now furious with me because I don't want to move to Guatemala. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 380
You deserved it 946

holluphollup tells us more.

OP here. I'm here to explain this a little better. Ok so first off, I'm under 18 so therefore I can't leave. Second, my mother wants to do this because she wants to be a midwife, and Guatemala has cheap midwifery classes and programs. You might say she's doing this to help us financially, but my dads a doctor so that takes care of itself. Also, my mom has horrible back problems. At times she can barely move without hurting. If she's like this, then how will she be able to perform her job well? ( Surgery isn't an option because everyon we've tried has failed). I'm 17 and I've been in a small town where everybody knows everybody. I'm at the top of my class, and I have a real shot into getting into a prestigious university. I also have very deep connections with the people here. I don't want to throw this away. I don't mean to be rude and thwart my moms dreams, but it's just not what's best right now in my opinion. Hope this answered a lot of your questions. Also, thanks for all the support I really appreciate it. :)

Top comments

You have every right to be upset at something that would so drastically effect your life! I really don't understand these other comments. If your mom is determined to move, maybe try and find other living arrangements with a friend or extended family?

I really find it hard to judge here with no background info, but seriously, Guatemala? Please OP, can you explain why your mum wanted to move there in the first place? Does she have a job offer there, is she from Guatemala originally...? What's up with that?

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

OP has every right to be upset with something that would seriously affect their life. You're a git.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Moving into another country is a very big deal... You're saying goodbye to everything you've established in the previous country and starting a new life. This also throws away potential opportunities that the OP may had. Imagine having to suddenly say goodbye to friends, significant others, jobs, etc. to live somwhere else where you're not sure how life will be over there.

Very true! That's precisely why I said I understood OP's frustration. I was simply trying to help OP see it from her mother's point of view. I think it is important to consider all perspectives before acting :)

Normally I would agree about trying to see it from both perspectives but the mom just sounds crazy and ignorant.

The mother should be the one trying to see it from OP's point of view. Just because the mother may think it's a good idea doesn't mean OP has to agree.

Honestly, many parents don't think about what's best for everyone when they make these big decision, they can be rather selfish. Kids aren't always as resilient as people think, especially older kids and it really hurts to tear and force them from everything they know. My boyfriend's parents picked them up and moved them from Canada across the world to Qatar when he was 9 and his sister was 13, they were there for 5yrs. To this day, his sister especially, still resents them for it, it kind of stole her teen and high school years, being a young, developing woman there, it was hard for her. Coming from our country, to Qatar, where it's pretty conservative, and you have to watch how you dress, what you say, who you interact with, and they had to pretty much hide the fact that they were Catholic/agnostic, it was incredibly difficult, especially for kids. On top of all that, they had no family or friends there. My boyfriend still says, it wasn't a decision that was best for everyone, not even close, but they had to comply because their parents wanted to move there. Both of him and his sis hated it, it really took it's toll on the relationship between them and their parents and it still hasn't really recovered.

You guys all make incredibly valid points, which I agree with entirely. OP does seem like she is being the most reasonable here however, OP is clearly quite upset by her mothers actions (he/she made an FML about it) so I don't want he/she to be rash. I think he/she needs to try have another reasonable discussion with her mum and both parties (especially the mum who is being very unreasonable) need to voice their reasons/opinions. I wouldn't want their relationship to be ruined due to lack of sensible communication (on the mothers part). Unfortunately I can't communicate with the mother though, so I urge OP to initiate that conversation.

You have every right to be upset at something that would so drastically effect your life! I really don't understand these other comments. If your mom is determined to move, maybe try and find other living arrangements with a friend or extended family?

I really find it hard to judge here with no background info, but seriously, Guatemala? Please OP, can you explain why your mum wanted to move there in the first place? Does she have a job offer there, is she from Guatemala originally...? What's up with that?

As true as that is, Guatemala does have VERY pretty beaches in protected areas (:

How old are you ? Because if you're over 18 you can decide to make it in the USA on your own. You can do it!!!

fpants2010 18

18? There are 30 year olds that still can't make it on their own here.

nesteremily 31

Why does she want to move there? Is she Guatemalan or have a job there? It doesn't seem reasonable to me to just pack up and move to another country.

#15 that may be a lifestyle that works well for you and it sounds very fun, however if that is OP's mother's intention she still needs to look at the big picture and how OP will be affected.

15, do you have children? Because your lifestyle may work for you but it's not ideal for people who have kids. It's way easier to travel the world when you don't have kids to deal with.

Goblin182 26

What is your mom basing this decision on? Does she have a plan, a job opportunity? Does she have family there, living arrangements? Or is this a knee jerk reaction to the political climate here in the U.S.? To make this decision without a plan, just based on the up coming election is pretty irresponsible.

and you have the right to not wanna move i know i wouldnt wanna move

Just think of it as an über long vacation...or (if you're old enough) make your own decision...if not hell you may love it...

stangbang92 17

I see everyone here saying that the mother is ignorant and what not but if your a child who can't move out on their own. Where you live is not up to you. I left when I was 18 got a job and have my own place you can make things work. But if you're 12 you need to respect your mom. Try to find out why. But don't complain about her giving you a place to stay.

They have every right to complain if her mom is packing her up and forcing her to move when she doesn't want to, especially if the mom has 0 reasoning or plan behind the move. Kids have feelings too, they're allowed to be upset and complain about their parents decisions, to tell them to suppress it is unfair and unhealthy. Being upset with a mother's decision when it has a major effect on you is not disrespectful, it's natural, maybe the mom should be more respectful to her child and realize how drastically this will change her life. She's uprooting her from everything she knows, and putting her in a drastically different cultural and political climate, do you understand how difficult that is for a kid? Also, if the OP is a minor, it's the parent's job to give them a place to stay, it's illegal not to, a parent doesn't get applause or respect for this, that's their responsibility. In this case I think the OP is especially allowed to be upset because she gets literally no say in the matter, her mom can force her to go basically anywhere and she has to comply.