By MymB612 - 24/12/2013 06:50 - Lebanon - Beirut

Today, my mom called to bestow upon me warm holiday pearls of wisdom: "I hope you aren't giving everyone your natural handmade eco-shit again. Gifts should be returnable. And have a price." FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 802
You deserved it 9 045

MymB612 tells us more.

I didn't realize I wasn't signed in when I posted that one. It's cool that got published! I love making handmade gifts, I think it's so much more personal and intimate to make something for someone that you know they'll appreciate. And by the way, to the meanies, I am indeed broke right now but that wasn't why I made handmade presents (I was very comfortable financially last year and made homemade stuff anyway, it's about the time and effort I choose to put into them, not their monetary value). Also, I am not trying to push my views on anyone, except maybe the belief that the more time and effort you put into something, the more it's worth. I'm an atheist lesbian by the way, and I still spent a month making gifts for a holiday I don't even believe in for my mostly uber-religious homophobic family, just because I know it would make them happy. So don't tell me about pushing my views on anyone, I respect their freedom of opinion just as I expect them to respect mine (not an easy feat in Lebanon, but I digress). Also, no, I am not making them home-made manure or a frame with some stickers on. I made them balms and lotions, personalized to their needs. Odorless moisturizing cream for my pregnant cousin. Natural heating pad for my grandma with arthiritis. Shaving cream for my uncle who has super sensitive skin. Foot scrub for my brother who spends his work hours on his feet. Healing balm for cuts and burns for my cousin who spends his weekends camping and hiking. Stuff like that. About my mom, the reason she gave me that ill-worded comment is because last year I had knitted a hat for my grandma, which turned out to be too small for her head (I had miscalculated), and also I had made a scented cooling pad that leaked a few days later, so she insisted that had I bought store-bought items there would be no problem. Yeah, she's like that. But hey, I understand this particular holiday is supposed to be about forgiveness, is it not? So I dealt with her as follows: I made her a gift anyway (Topical pain-relief cream for her sore muscles, she had a surgery last year and the muscles on her back hurt in the cold) but I didn't put it under the tree with the rest of the presents. She seemed so vexed and saddened. I went and talked to her and told her that I chose not to give her a present, since she doesn't appreciate the time and thought I put into them (and money, materials, hello). She apologized for her comment and said I was right and she was being mean because she had a very tough day and lashed out at me. Then she told me my presents for everyone were awesome, and I gave her hers. Made her doubly smile! So, all is well that ends well I suppose. I made sure she knew that she hurt my feelings, and got aknowledgment and an apology. What more can I ask for? Wow this post turned out huge, sorry for the eyesore :P Thank for the hilarious comments and warm support. Made me glad to feel that people still remember what they are celebrating, and appreciate the thought behind gifts more than their monetary value. Oh and for the couple of Lebanese peeps I saw in the comments, yen3ad 3laykon w 3a 3yelkon bel kheir :)

Top comments

MikaykayUnicorn 36

I wish I knew you, I would LOVE to get homemade stuff as a gift! (I'm not being sarcastic, I love creativity and that's really cool!)

Wow that's incredibly ungrateful. Don't get her anything at all OP.

Comments

your moms a bitch and should be grateful to get anything

This is why I was a little reluctant to go on this site on Christmas Eve. If my own mother said that about any of my crafts or artwork (not that she ever would), I think I would fall down dead.

bizarre_ftw 21

She is far too consumed by the consumer culture to the point that she can't recognize anything outside it, even if - all throughout history - that thing has been considered far superior (ie handmade, deeply thoughtful gifts vs bought crap that's worth nothing beyond to show how much money you're willing to spend on them). In the end, it's sad really; so the angry part of you that wants to slap her with a frying pan can take comfort in that

I'd just not get them anything then. This shouldn't be about price tags, it should be about the thought, if one can't appreciate that then they can be happy with nothing.

But there really are people who give gifts that are to their tastes instead of the people they're giving the gift to. I have an Aunt and Uncle that do this to my parents every year. My parents nicely tell them what they like or to not buy a gift at all and every year, they send something that is to their taste and that my parents will never use. At some point, doing that is disrespectful. Let's not totally discount the possibility that OP does this as well.

Exactly, you are giving the gift to the person, so you should say to yourself "Is this something they'd want/use?" If the answer is anything but "yes" then don't do it. That's why I voted YDI for this one. Hate to say it, but OP needs to follow this rule, not stroke their ego.

skittyskatbrat 19

Get her a jock strap. Include the receipt so she can return it ;)

Well they are... Returnable due to biodegradable Price having them being priceless...for originality....

Wow... If someone gave me homemade things for Christmas if be hugely impressed as it shows the person cared enough to take their time of thinking something up to then make it. Your Mother is materialistic and the best way to deal with this? Don't give her anything. People like her don't deserve a gift, especially when they say "it should be returnable", that's just selfish and greedy!

skittyskatbrat 19

Wow. My husband read this and just said to get her a vibrator, and tell her to return THAT. :D

Your mom is a huge bitch... I've always cherished the ones that were made for me over bought. It shows more love and care. Don't get her anything, she's ungrateful and doesn't deserve anything. She completely forgot what the holidays is about...