By MymB612 - 24/12/2013 06:50 - Lebanon - Beirut

Today, my mom called to bestow upon me warm holiday pearls of wisdom: "I hope you aren't giving everyone your natural handmade eco-shit again. Gifts should be returnable. And have a price." FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 802
You deserved it 9 045

MymB612 tells us more.

I didn't realize I wasn't signed in when I posted that one. It's cool that got published! I love making handmade gifts, I think it's so much more personal and intimate to make something for someone that you know they'll appreciate. And by the way, to the meanies, I am indeed broke right now but that wasn't why I made handmade presents (I was very comfortable financially last year and made homemade stuff anyway, it's about the time and effort I choose to put into them, not their monetary value). Also, I am not trying to push my views on anyone, except maybe the belief that the more time and effort you put into something, the more it's worth. I'm an atheist lesbian by the way, and I still spent a month making gifts for a holiday I don't even believe in for my mostly uber-religious homophobic family, just because I know it would make them happy. So don't tell me about pushing my views on anyone, I respect their freedom of opinion just as I expect them to respect mine (not an easy feat in Lebanon, but I digress). Also, no, I am not making them home-made manure or a frame with some stickers on. I made them balms and lotions, personalized to their needs. Odorless moisturizing cream for my pregnant cousin. Natural heating pad for my grandma with arthiritis. Shaving cream for my uncle who has super sensitive skin. Foot scrub for my brother who spends his work hours on his feet. Healing balm for cuts and burns for my cousin who spends his weekends camping and hiking. Stuff like that. About my mom, the reason she gave me that ill-worded comment is because last year I had knitted a hat for my grandma, which turned out to be too small for her head (I had miscalculated), and also I had made a scented cooling pad that leaked a few days later, so she insisted that had I bought store-bought items there would be no problem. Yeah, she's like that. But hey, I understand this particular holiday is supposed to be about forgiveness, is it not? So I dealt with her as follows: I made her a gift anyway (Topical pain-relief cream for her sore muscles, she had a surgery last year and the muscles on her back hurt in the cold) but I didn't put it under the tree with the rest of the presents. She seemed so vexed and saddened. I went and talked to her and told her that I chose not to give her a present, since she doesn't appreciate the time and thought I put into them (and money, materials, hello). She apologized for her comment and said I was right and she was being mean because she had a very tough day and lashed out at me. Then she told me my presents for everyone were awesome, and I gave her hers. Made her doubly smile! So, all is well that ends well I suppose. I made sure she knew that she hurt my feelings, and got aknowledgment and an apology. What more can I ask for? Wow this post turned out huge, sorry for the eyesore :P Thank for the hilarious comments and warm support. Made me glad to feel that people still remember what they are celebrating, and appreciate the thought behind gifts more than their monetary value. Oh and for the couple of Lebanese peeps I saw in the comments, yen3ad 3laykon w 3a 3yelkon bel kheir :)

Top comments

MikaykayUnicorn 36

I wish I knew you, I would LOVE to get homemade stuff as a gift! (I'm not being sarcastic, I love creativity and that's really cool!)

Wow that's incredibly ungrateful. Don't get her anything at all OP.

Comments

I'd quite like natural, handmade eco stuff. People always used to get me shop bought bath stuff because I love bubble baths and lotions and potions, but unfortunately I have really sensitive skin and a lot of it went unused. I would've thought natural things would be useable by everyone, so that's a good aspect right there. Plus, there's the added bonus of the fact you don't test on animals or damage the environment! Don't give your mam a gift she doesn't appreciate, but see if everybody else likes your gifts. Some people might really love them and others won't. It's all down to the individual. :)

That sucks OP. I did a painting for 3 people on my list this year. I put lots of time and effort into each one and spent money on expensive art supplies. If they want to return mine I'd be happy to take them back and hang them on my wall. If they want to return yours, just think of it as a Christmas gift for you, from you.

Maybe if you stopped making shit that made you feel better, and gave gifts with meaning to the people you were giving them to, you wouldn't be treated like a cuntwaffle.

frizz101 22

If OP is taking the time and effort to make gifts, they ARE thoughtful. No one just says "hey I'm gonna take time out of my day and money I make to make a gift for someone that I put absolutely no thought into."

Seriously? You sound like an ungrateful asshole if you can't understand the TRUE meaning of gift giving which isn't your definition. Not every can go and spend hundreds of dollars on expensive stuff you arrogant spoiled little shit. Be more grateful instead of a sour asshole.

I'm not going to sugarcoat anything but that's how society is today so ... Yeah reality sucks

There are some people who you can make handmade gifts for and they appreciate the time and effort you put into them. There are also those who think a unique handmade gift is crap, cheap and don't care that you've spent hours on it. Oh and there are also those people who expect a handmade gift that you've put hours into and then complain it isn't exactly what they wanted or the way they would have done it - if they did handcrafts of course. Unfortunately the 1st lot are outnumbered by the second and third lot of people.

I think your mother should be grateful that she's receiving presents at all. It's not like you're obligated to get her anything, let alone a handmade gift that, I'm assuming, took time and effort to create. If she doesn't appreciate your gifts, then she shouldn't complain if you don't give her any.

What you need to do: make your mom a homemade gift. Put a price on it. And tell her to return it with the money to you. It's a win-win(: you make it, get your mom pissed, and get money(:

You should send her the bill with all the materials you had to buy to make the home made gift. See if she straightens up then.

Wow, she's obviously ungrateful! But even if she doesn't like it, it's the thought that counts!