This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By SouthernHospitality - 20/10/2018 20:00 - United States - Mcpherson

Today, my mentally disabled brother chose to come out to our entire southern family while he was giving a eulogy at our grandfather's funeral. FML
I agree, your life sucks 865
You deserved it 87

Top comments

What the **** does that have to do with you? It wasn't the best time for him to come out, but it took guts nonetheless. And if you, and the rest of your family, are ashamed of him, you should realize that he is who he is. Tell him you're proud of him, and encourage him if he's looking for a boyfriend.

chinchillaz 12

I don't understand how this is an FML that has to do with you. I mean, I don't get how it affects you.

Comments

chinchillaz 12

I don't understand how this is an FML that has to do with you. I mean, I don't get how it affects you.

What the **** does that have to do with you? It wasn't the best time for him to come out, but it took guts nonetheless. And if you, and the rest of your family, are ashamed of him, you should realize that he is who he is. Tell him you're proud of him, and encourage him if he's looking for a boyfriend.

It’s not about the original poster hating gays haha. It’s wrong place wrong time and wrong crowd. You (and others with more conservative values) are there to commemorate the death of a loved one not start a bunch of drama.

they are ashamed of the setting he chose to come out in not that he is gay you don't close off a eulogy announcing you are gay and expect everyone to forget that its a funeral and immediately have giant smiles on their faces and say "we're proud of you for writing of your grandpa's funeral so you can come out" like seriously have some common sense

It's possible that it wasn't so much a "Everybody I'm gay" moment so much as a "He always supported me, even when I told him I was gay" moment which would both be relevant to the eulogy and coming out to the rest of the family. In which case the issue it may be that the OP is upset because their sibling wasn't supposed to mention being gay in any context due to how badly some other members of the family would take it. The OP may be upset because of the reactions of other members of the family and how everything went after that.

I would have agreed with you, were it not for the fact that the OP made a point of saying their entire family was Southern, and most people below the Bible Belt have issues with the LGBTQ+ community. Also, if the brother is mentally challenged, he may not be able to relate to the people mourning around him, or he may have thought that he should come out to his whole family while he had the chance. I did acknowledge that it was poorly timed, and I wouldn't have said what I did had the OP posted just "Today, my brother came out by announcing it during the eulogy he was giving at our grandfather's funeral. FML.", but those little extra details made me question if OP was upset about more than just when her brother chose to come out.

PenguinPal3017 19

Was it at least relevant. "I only had one family member who I had came out to. He loved me the same as before and gave me some wise words."

tr3yr 13

Like the others, in addition i’m also confused as to why him being “mentally disabled” has anything to do with him coming out as well?!?

julfunky 29

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure why that detail was relevant to the FML.

maybe he came out as mentally disabled?

Why is this your FML? Sounds like with your R-word brother’s stunt, you’re the Golden Child for a while and pretty much can do no wrong. Live it up while there’s still time!

there are better places and i mean any other place than a FUNERAL. to come out literally anywhere a funeral is a time to send of the departed not to come out so i understand the fml part because if there were any negative reactions it wasn't from him coming it was from him choosing the eulogy for his GRANDFATHER as a great time to come out. so to those of you being all pissy about this chances are you are misinterpreting

Burle 17

Yup, the timing of OP's brother would have made the funeral very awkward, that's why it's a FML Take your heads out of your PC asses people

whiskey'swino 15

The only reason I can understand "mentally disabled" being relevant is if the brother thought the announcement would literally make Grandpa spin in his grave, which would be entertaining.